First Time Stocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleDrake13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 65 gallon tank and I will be planting it and I really hope it urns out well.

inside will be:
3x pearl gourami
6x khuli loaches (maybe. Im open to suggestions)
8x mollies, platys, and/or swordtails
12x cardinal tetras

Please give me suggestions of what to put in here and how I can change the list. I would like some exotic fish that are easy to care for. Thanks for your help.

Puck44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mollies, platties, and swordtails all appreciate higher ph and would have a much happier life in that.
That is a good size tank so the pearls are a good idea! (I would personally add them last). Cardinals are nice too! If you want another schooling fish you could do rummy nose! They are so cool! One last thing , I would up the number of Kuhli loaches to 15 or so.

How about:

3 Pearls

15 Kuhlis

12 cardinals

12 rummy nose

That should be a good stocking, also what kind of filter do you use? By no means am I an expert so I would defiantly take other opinions on this good luck!

OP
EagleDrake13

EagleDrake13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mollies, platties, and swordtails all appreciate higher ph and would have a much happier life in that.
That is a good size tank so the pearls are a good idea! (I would personally add them last). Cardinals are nice too! If you want another schooling fish you could do rummy nose! They are so cool! One last thing , I would up the number of Kuhli loaches to 15 or so.

How about:

3 Pearls

15 Kuhlis

12 cardinals

12 rummy nose

That should be a good stocking, also what kind of filter do you use? By no means am I an expert so I would defiantly take other opinions on this good luck!
I was given the filter and it is rated for 80g and I have undergravel filters so I think I am ok.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd suggest doing swordtails of those three.
I'd definitely do more kuhli loaches than just 6. You have a lot of room, this has the same footprint as a 75g. I'd suggest congo or diamond tetras as a second school for the middle, you could do 12 of those as well.

You'd also have room for some peaceful cichlids for the bottom, like a rainbow cichlid, or a pair of kribensis. I'd also add a pleco, a clown pleco would be the most temp-compatible.

OP
EagleDrake13

EagleDrake13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd suggest doing swordtails of those three.
I'd definitely do more kuhli loaches than just 6. You have a lot of room, this has the same footprint as a 75g. I'd suggest congo or diamond tetras as a second school for the middle, you could do 12 of those as well.

You'd also have room for some peaceful cichlids for the bottom, like a rainbow cichlid, or a pair of kribensis. I'd also add a pleco, a clown pleco would be the most temp-compatible.
What would you suggest as a list then?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 65 gallon tank and I will be planting it and I really hope it urns out well.

inside will be:
3x pearl gourami
6x khuli loaches (maybe. Im open to suggestions)
8x mollies, platys, and/or swordtails
12x cardinal tetras

Please give me suggestions of what to put in here and how I can change the list. I would like some exotic fish that are easy to care for. Thanks for your help.
What would you suggest as a list then?
I'd do this:
5 pearl gouramis
15 kuhli loaches
12 cardinal tetras
12 diamond tetras
6 swordtails
1 rainbow cichlid
1 kribensis
1 clown pleco

OP
EagleDrake13

EagleDrake13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd do this:
5 pearl gouramis
15 kuhli loaches
12 cardinal tetras
12 diamond tetras
6 swordtails
1 rainbow cichlid
1 kribensis
1 clown pleco
I didn't think I could fit that many fish in there but Thanks. Would should I do for genders because pearls can be somewhat aggressive. And I dont really know much about cichlids

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pearl gouramis are one of the more peaceful ones, they're not commonly aggressive. Where'd you hear that?
1 male, 4 females is what I'd do, though you can do all males or all females.
The cichlids I suggested are both some of the more peaceful species. They stay smaller than most, as well, with the krib getting 4 inches, and the rainbow getting 4-6 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 74 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.1%

Top Bottom