First Time Stocking Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by EagleDrake13, Jun 13, 2018.

1. EagleDrake13

EagleDrake13 New Member Member

I have a 65 gallon and would like a nice community tank so I am wondering if the following list is alright. This would be my first tank. I don't think this is stocked enough either so please tell me what else to add.

6x Khuli Loaches
    4x Mollies
    4x Swordtails
    2x bn plecos
    12x Neon Tetras

Are there maybe any shrimp or snails I could put in here as well?

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Shrimp and snails should fare well in that tank. Most loaches will eat snails and shrimp, but not kuhli loaches because their mouths are too small. So you should be fine there.

I almost feel like you need a centerpiece fish, though.

3. OP
    OP
    EagleDrake13

Any suggestions of what to use as that fish

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You could add 3 larger Gouramis, such as blue, gold, and pearl. They would be good mid and upper tank swimmers. You can pick 3 of the same or 1 of each species, but no matter what, get all males. The females would get bullied by the males because of spawning instincts.

5. OP
    OP
    EagleDrake13

I used to have gourami on the list but someone told me they don't mix well with the other fish on the list

6. IHaveADogToo

A betta might work. I'd be careful with them though, and I think a female would be more likely to work than a male.

And yes, gouramis are a fantastic suggestion!

7. IHaveADogToo

If you don't already have the fish, I would avoid the neon tetras, and get something else.

Don't get me wrong, neon tetras are a neat fish. I have some myself. The problem is right now the stock of neon tetras coming into north america and europe is pretty bad. There's a few fish farms in Asia that provide the majority of the neon tetra stock internationally, and I don't know if these fish farms are overbreeding neon tetras, or inbreeding them, or what, but something is wrong. Neon tetras right now have very weak genetics, are very prone to disease, and are experiencing a high mortality rate. These problems appear to be isolated to the basic neon tetras, however, and do not appear to be effecting other breeds of neon tetra, such as the green neon tetra, the glowlight tetra, or the black neon tetra. Those species appear to be doing just fine. So if you want neon tetras, I suggest you look into these spin-off neon tetra types. Or cardinal tetras, which look almost identical to neon tetras, they're just slightly larger and have a longer red stripe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice