55 Gallon Tank First Time Stocking 50+

Kristian Kyles

Reaction score
Hey! I've been trying to decide on a stocking list for my 55 gallon tank I've picked up started cycling. It's going to be heavily planted with mostly live (a few fake) plants and have a couple driftwood pieces. It's my first time stocking a community tank this size so I wanted to get second opinions on my current idea

Stocking List
2 angelfish
9 fancy guppies
8 gold skirt tetras
6 corys

Please let me know if this is over/under stocked or if any of these fish will have issues with aggression

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2 angelfish will cause problems, especially if they're both males, that's why I always recommend keeping them in odd numbers.
I think you could up the cory school to 10 easily.

Kristian Kyles

Reaction score
2 angelfish will cause problems, especially if they're both males, that's why I always recommend keeping them in odd numbers.
I think you could up the cory school to 10 easily.
If I add another angelfish to make it three would it still be okay to up the number of corys?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I add another angelfish to make it three would it still be okay to up the number of corys?
Three is a terrible number for Angels. I would stick with one or two if you are going for a community tank.

Also, Keeping them in odd numbers doesnt really make a difference. I've never heard of that before.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Three is a terrible number for Angels. I would stick with one or two if you are going for a community tank.

Also, Keeping them in odd numbers doesnt really make a difference. I've never heard of that before.
Why is three a bad number?
It's always helped for me

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why is three a bad number?
It's always helped for me
Its not always. As keeping angels in multiples is always a surprise. They are unpredictable.

But often you end up with two ganging up on the 3rd. Whether it be a breeding pair, or just a pair of buddies picking on the smallest or what have you.

3 can work. 2 can work. 1 can work. 4 can work. It's just a matter of trial an error with Angels unfortunately.

I just wouldnt suggest multiple Angels for an angelfish beginner trying to put together a working community. Especially if it's their only tank.

I'm sure you've seen me say it a million times. But Anyone hoping to keep multiple angels needs to be mentally prepared for a likely possibility of needing to do some rehoming in the future. If that isnt a reality they want to potentially face....then avoid multiples.

Also if a breeding pair forms...that brings a lot of stress to the tankmates as the Angels can be very aggressive when protecting their spawns.

Kristian Kyles

Reaction score
Its not always. As keeping angels in multiples is always a surprise. They are unpredictable.

But often you end up with two ganging up on the 3rd. Whether it be a breeding pair, or just a pair of buddies picking on the smallest or what have you.

3 can work. 2 can work. 1 can work. 4 can work. It's just a matter of trial an error with Angels unfortunately.

I just wouldnt suggest multiple Angels for an angelfish beginner trying to put together a working community. Especially if it's their only tank.

I'm sure you've seen me say it a million times. But Anyone hoping to keep multiple angels needs to be mentally prepared for a likely possibility of needing to do some rehoming in the future. If that isnt a reality they want to potentially face....then avoid multiples.

Also if a breeding pair forms...that brings a lot of stress to the tankmates as the Angels can be very aggressive when protecting their spawns.
So the stocking will be fine I just need to keep an eye on the angels for any signs of aggression between them? If I do end up needing to re-home one of them will the other be fine by itself or would I need to surrender both and find a different centerpiece fish?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So the stocking will be fine I just need to keep an eye on the angels for any signs of aggression between them? If I do end up needing to re-home one of them will the other be fine by itself or would I need to surrender both and find a different centerpiece fish?
Exactly. And if you are ok with that, then do multiple!! In fact...start out with 4 juvies and you should have several months to enjoy them before you deal with aggression. Key word being "should". When things get rocky...pick the two with the best personalities and who get along the best and rehome the others. Maybe you'll get lucky and have a foursome that gets along for life. You never know with these guys!!

Oh and one is totally fine by itself!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom