First Time Planted Tank

1. G0ne Fishin Member Member

I was given a used aquarium, with a blue gourami. I want to do a planted tank with shrimp and few snails. I have been reading for month now to gather items I need. Im ok with going slow due to not wanting discouragement to settle in. So far I have

20G High Tank with Stand
    Aqueon 50w heater
    HOB Penguin Bio Wheel 100 Filter
    1 Bag Eco Complete, will get Black Diamond Blasting Sand in few weeks
    Driftwood, Rocks
    API Master Test Kit
    API GH and KH Test
    Power Strip
    Live Plants ill get later

so what am i missing! im not planning on using Co2! I wont be able to finish setup until after im back from vacation-end of Sept! Giving me time to gather all i need..patience is at top of list!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is it a blue gourami or a blue dwarf gourami?

A blue gourami is too large for a tank this size, so I'd rehome it and break down the tank until you get back from vacation and can set it back up.

I'd get another heater. The general recommendation is 3-5 watts per gallon, and a 50 watt falls below that for a 20 gal. Another 50 watt would do, or you can replace the 50 watt with a 100 watt. I like the Aqueon submersible adjustable heaters. Cheap on Amazon and I've found them to be reliable.

I'd upgrade to a bigger filter too. For an HOB, you want a GPH 8-10x the volume of the tank, so the minimum would be 160 GPH. You can add a second filter to get 160-200+ GPH, or you can replace this filter with a larger one.

If you go with Ecocomplete, no need for sand!

Post pics when you get it setup (or during the process :) )

3. G0ne Fishin Member Member

Blue Gourami was give to LFS! He was trooper too. lived through being neglected and the 2 hour travel to my home then to store!
    Was afraid there be more replacing lol
    as far as what to add to water what do i need for planted tank, ill do fishless cycle?
    for now tank is empty, cleaned up im cleaning the gravel in case i need a little of it.
    soaking driftwood-its still floating! for sure pics !

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member