First time Oscar owner...

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by Dreshanda, Jul 26, 2015.

1. D

Dreshanda Valued Member Member

The boyfriend is currently deployed, so, to surprise the man when he gets back, I'm gonna get him his favorite fish - the tiger oscar. He consented to a 55 gal tank for this fish...so I got a 75 because it was on sale. Don't tell him... >.>

I've done my research, and decided...no plants, all rocks, and a couple of fun plastic decorations for the little fella to toss around as he grows up. Feed primarily high-quality pellets, switching it up with some live foods for treats. He needs room to swim, so keep whatever decor i want to a minimum. Also, i have a HOB filter right now, rated for a 75 gal to start my tank cycling, with the intent to purchase a large cannister filter in the future, prior to stocking. The size of the tank means I could keep only him in there, and possibly a pleco or other sucker fish. Of course...some crazy folks on the Google got me thinking.

I would love to have an angelfish someday, or several, but I have heard both good and bad things about pairing angels and oscars. Some say they've had those two in smaller tanks than mine for years with no problems. Others, said their angels were stressed to death within a week.

So, from the cichlids experts out there...is my tiger running solo, or can he have buddies? Even if angels are off the list, can an oscar live with any other fish species? Preferably schoolers, my boyfriend likes watching those "herds of fish".

I'll take progress photos and upload them using the computer (is there an easy way to upload images using mobile devices?) as time goes. I would love to shock my boo-thang with a nice fish, but if everybody says negative things about newbies and oscars, I suppose I could make some changes.

Thank you so much for all of your advice!!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Why not just get the larger canister from the beginner? Saves the hassle of transferring all the media over later. Even then, it's not a guarantee that all the bacteria would get transferred.
    Just curious, where did you get your 75? Saw the Marineland 75g tank and stand ensemble for sale at Petsmart couple days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    D

My tank is the same one from petsmart, but I saved a few bucks by buying a different stand than the one it came with. It also looks nicer, if I could assemble it properly...

I have the HOB because I have a very similar one on my 30 gal, so I thought I could switch out the biowheels to help the bacteria along a bit. The cannisters would come later to actually get rid of the wastes once the fish is in there. Also...I didn't have that extra $100 at the moment. I barely had the $400 to buy the whole thing in the first place, but I get paid next week and my credit card needed some love, lol.

4. Dom90

Was it this one?

5. OP
    OP
    D

The very one! Just the tank and hood, though. I can't entirely remember the stock number of the stand I bought instead, but it looks much nicer and fits my boyfriend's house much better. It also ended up being about $40 cheaper as well.

That's the thing with those deals they have- you gotta look around the shop for all of your options, because there is usually a better deal in there somewhere. :)

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Keep your Oscar by itself. Angles and O's can work. But not in a 75. You could get away with a fancy pleco. But in all honesty, keeping it by itself would probably work best.

7. OP
    OP
    D

That definitely re-enforces all I've heard on keeping them solo. One day, though, if I do upgrade to, oh, 125 gallons, would I have more room to experiment? Or do I need, like, a 500 gal pond to do that sort of thing?

8. BDpups

Depends on who you ask. I would try it in a 125. But I am sure plenty of people would say not to. There was a recent thread here where many members said a single Oscar won't work in a 75. Go figure right?

But a 125 would be the minimum I would try O's and angels in. Bigger is better. If you are going to go for a 6' tank, I would get a 180. The 24'' depth is much better than the 18'' of a 125.

9. OP
    OP
    D

There's so much conflicting info on these Oscars...the only reason I went with a 75 gal instead of 50 was because it was on sale for the same price as the 50 gal. But I've also heard of much success with Oscars in 55 gal tanks, and even a mated pair getting along in a 30 (though even I consider that small of a space to be animal cruelty, which I am much against). So...hopefully the fish I get will be plenty content in a 75 gal tank, especially solo. I know these fellas aren't community fish, I just wanted to ask and see if anybody has success with that sort of thing. Curiosity killed the cat and all, lol.

But in all seriousness...if I do notice my fish's health deteriorating, I will definitely do my best to either upgrade, or rehome him. If he's healthy, then he stays.

10. Dom90

If some sources say 55 and others say 125, I'd probably go the middle path and stay with a 75. :)

11. BDpups

You can keep Oscars in a community tank. It just needs to be a big tank. I would not try an actually community with one in less than a 125. And even then pick the tank mates carefully. But you could keep a Oscar and something else in a 5' 120. It can be tricky though. Most success comes from getting the fish at the same time. Once a fish is in a tank, it can claim the entire tank as it's own and having tank mates becomes very difficult.

If you want to get into a big tanks, an 8' 250 or 300 really opens up the variety of fish you can keep with medium size cichlids like Oscars.

But for a single Oscar, your 75 will be perfect.

12. p

peacelizard Valued Member Member

I wouldn't say oscars aren't community fish, at least in my experience thus far. You just have to find other fish that are of a similar size/temperament as the Oscar. In other words, I have yet to see my Oscar attack anyone but he has tried to eat a few.

13. OP
    OP
    D

If I had the time, money, and patience for an even bigger tank, I would definitely have an oscar community tank. However...funds are indeed limited. Also...base housing is awful small for a family of two humans, two cats, and upteen fishes... >.>

So...it took three hours to get the tank stand assembled, but at least I'm done with that! Also managed to wrestle that tank up on it, too, all by myself... I'm just glad nothing broke. I suppose I can work on rinsing gravel and dechlorinating water tomorrow... *sad ginger*

14. Dom90

Lol upteen fish. My cousin in the Navy somehow got housing off base. But yea I totally feel you about wanting a bigger tank. But the cost of bigger tank goes up exponentially high once you start hitting the three digit gallon tanks.

15. BDpups

What kind of gravel?

16. OP
    OP
    D

I typed up this huge reply earlier for you on my phone, then it glitched out and I don't think it went through. Oops!

Anyway, I think it's the topfin gravel...some real basic black stuff. I have it in my 20 gal betta sorority tank. The plants I have in that tank are growing super well, too, which is great. It's one of those smooth type of gravels, so it shouldn't cut up any fishes. I tried sand in my 30 gal...never again. The mess was terrible, plus the cats tried to play in the sand bag while I was using it... Ugh.

Anyway, I've had good luck with that gravel, so unless there's a huge surge of "no gravel!" from the users on here, I'm gonna go with it. :)

17. BDpups

Gravel is fine. I was just curious because some doesn't really need to be rinsed. But if you end up with some that does, I have done this before. Get a 5 gallon bucket and drill holes in the bottom of it small enough so the gravel doesn't fall through. If you have to wash a lot of it, I did this for a 6 foot tank, it makes it much easier.

Good luck with yours! Post pics :)

18. OP
    OP
    D

I usually rinse all of my gravel and decorations in scalding hot water, just to be sure there's no fish-diseases growing on them. And usually just a quick rinse.

I remember when I bought some of that Flourite gravel to use one time in a 30 gal fancy goldfish tank I set up once... I kept wondering why it was never getting clean, then I finally googled that a little bit of dust is okay on that sort of gravel, lol. That's also when I experimented with sand...ugh. Never again, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice