First Time New 37 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Johnexel30, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Johnexel30New MemberMember

Hello,

I have seen wonderful success stories of people receiving help from the people in the forums and would like to share my experiences with my first planted 37 gallon freshwater tank.

- Heater, filter, and lights all topfin
    - Cycling since 29 July 2017
    - Used API Quikstart
    - Has 1 inch soil covered with white gravel
    - Unknown Plants ( I should have checked the names before putting them in, but look healthy )
    - Heated to 78 deg F.
    - 29 July 2017 to 30 July 2017 water was clear
    -31 July to 1 Aug water became cloudy with green tint
    - 2 Aug to 3 Aug water less cloudy, but still green tint

Freshwater tests:

Test 1 ( 2 August 2017):
    Ammonia - .25
    Nitrate - 80
    Nitrite - 1
    Hardness - 150
    Chlorine - 0
    Alk - 50
    ph - 7.3

Does the high Nitrates mean I am towards the end of the cycle and how do I get rid of the green tint with cloudiness? Is alkalinity too high?

2. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

The cloudiness should fade as your cycle progresses. Is the green tint from algae (is your tank by a window) or do you think it's just a part of the cloudiness?

It is a good sign you have nitrates already!

3. OP
    OP
    J

Johnexel30New MemberMember

The fish tank is not by a window, but I am guessing algae as you said. Does the Nitrates cause the algae to increase? Should the green tint decrease once the good bacteria take down the Nitrates you think?

4. musserump09

musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Algae feeds off high nitrates. 75% water change should remove your 1.0ppm nitrite. Algae will grow less if you keep your nitrates lower. Your cycle is near end. Congrats! Stocking some algae eaters will help control it as well. Algae is very common in new set ups and will grow in different forms (black,brown,green,white) all will settle if you keep tank healthy.

5. jl_1005

jl_1005Valued MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore and congrats on your progress with cycling

6. OP
    OP
    J

I did 40-45% water change and it made a big difference, but I will do another if the green/yellow tint gets bad again. I will give it until tomorrow and then I will test again. If everything is a go, it will be time to choose fish stock!

7. musserump09

By any chance do you have driftwood in your tank?

8. OP
    OP
    J

No, but there were wood chips in the potted soil that's under the gravel if that affects anything.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Alrighty all, today is the moment of truth! I will go to my local fish store and have the water tested out again. I did another water change earlier this morning ( 30% ) and it looks pretty darn clear. If everything is a go, it is time to choose fish stock.

Would these be ok for a 37 gallon?

Option #1 :

1 dwarf gourami
    5 rainbow ( my local area has turquoise, australian, emerald, and bosemani; Surprisingly, no Dwarf Neons >_< )
    5 cory cats or 5 otocinclus ( name any other good algae eaters/ bottom dwellers if you can )

Option #2:

1 dwarf gourami
    6 Neon Tetra or Cardinal Tetra ( or any of the smaller tetras for that matter; please suggest any other cool schoolers that have color/interesting patterns )
    5 corys and 5 otos

What do you guys think? If there are any suggestions or changes to these options please tell!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  10. musserump09

Option 1 looks good to me but im not a stocking expert.

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    You have room for more fish than that, and frankly you should have more fish in the schools.

However in option 1 I will say that in my opinion this tank is too small for normal sized rainbowfish like you have listed.

I'd do this:
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 angelfish
    8 cardinal tetras
    8 black neon tetras
    8 sterbai cories
    1 german blue ram

12. OP
    OP
    J

Hi! My nitrates were at 20, but everything else was stable with no ammonia and no nitrites so I went ahead and bought some fish from my list. I already bought 1 dwarf gourami, 7 neon tetras, 2 sterba, 1 Juli and 2 peppered cories. I did not think about it until recently, but will different patterned Cories be ok together as a school? They seem ok together so far and seen them school together then disperse and then school again. As for the angelfish, I will look into that next! Lastly, do you think I should add an extra neon for 8 and should I get more cories of each types?

13. OP
    OP
    J

Hi! My nitrates were at 20, but everything else was stable with no ammonia and no nitrites so I went ahead and bought some fish from my list. I already bought 1 dwarf gourami, 7 neon tetras, 2 sterba, 1 Juli and 2 peppered cories. I did not think about it until recently, but will different patterned Cories be ok together as a school? They seem ok together so far and seen them school together then disperse and then school again. As for the angelfish, I will look into that next! Lastly, do you think I should add an extra neon for 8 and should I get more cories of each types?

14. Anders247

I would rehome the sterbai and peppered cories. They do best in groups of their own species.
    Get 7 more julii cories.
    Angelfish wouldn't work with the cories and neon tetras, they need warmer temps, so disregard them now....

15. OP
    OP
    J

Any Angelfish that can be kept at 75-77 degrees? Right now my thermometer is reading around there and have the heater set at 76

16. Anders247

Angelfish would be fine at 76 or higher, but the cories you have need much cooler than this, and neons need it under 74.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice