First time molly breeder? Any suggestions?

1. prowlsgurl Initiate Member

After my last two goldfish passed on I decided to take a break considering the amount of bad luck I've had with them. So with my lone bristlenose pleco, who is the sweetest little guy in the world and who is still only not even an inch long in his now heated 20 gallon tank, I have decided to go ahead and purchase some mollies. I am very excited to hopefully see some babies considering they are rapid breeders. I purchased 1 male and 2 females, all in wonderful condition and have just plopped them in. They seem to be thriving very well and I am just wanting to prepare myself for is what is likely to come. I have 2 ten gallon tanks available if needed. It would be very helpful if you'd be willing to explain the:

- signs of pregnancy that are sure signs
    -ways to know when she is about to go into labor
    - if it is necessary to separate the females from the tank
    -And just the whole procedure overall or what you'd think would be helpful for a first time breeder.

Thanks again!

2. DNA Initiate Member

Hey!

I'm not too brainy on the topic but i currently have a pregnant molly.

-signs of pregnancy are her being fat around the belly. Try not to mistake pregnancy for dropsy, google it if your not sure.
    -to know that she is going into labour she will seclude herself from everything sit still and wont eat.
    -youll need to separate the fry from all fish in the tank. Myself im going to try catch the fry as theyre born to keep stress levels for mum down and put them into a breeder. If you put her into the breeder as she becomes pregnant she will more than likely abort the babys, if you put her in as she is going into labour she will do the same, i figured the best idea was to catch them and serperate them.

Make sure you have a fully cycled tank with the right parameters, the right food for the babies, if your not doing a full breeding tank setup, then a float tank/breeding net. Keep stress levels to a minumum.

3. Ryan1824 Member Member

I've found the easiest way to breed mollies is to set up a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter and lots of hornwort, guppy grass, or other floating bushy plants. Keep a male in the tank with a couple of females until the females start getting big bellies, then remove the male. As long as you feed the females well and have plenty of plants you don't need to worry about them eating the fry. When the females have their next batch of fry you can remove the older fry to their own tank. Otherwise the older fry will out compete the newer ones for food. Good luck!