First time keeping neons..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by lp89, Jan 5, 2013.

1. lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I have wanted to keep neon tetra ever since I was a kid. On January 2nd, I took the leap and purchased my first 5 neon tetra from my LFS. I plan to have 10 total but prefer to stock slowly. This will be my first time keeping "intermediate" fish.

I acclimated very slowly and when the neons entered the tank 4 began exploring in a tight school and 1 hid in the plants. I've been watching closely over the past 4 days, and as they have become more comfortable they have spread out a little but are always in the same general area, except my hider who has hardly moved from the top corner for the past 2 days. I have also noticed that his colour is not as bright as the other 4.
    Yesterday, I fed my tank frozen blood worms and though the "hider" did eat, he did not exhibit the same behaviour as the other 4 who chased eachother around with the worms hanging out of their mouths (too funny!).

Can anyone advise what I should do? Could he make a recovery? Should I worry about my healthy neons?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: water parms are 0/0/5, PH:7.2, KH:30

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, I would worry about the other neons. Were it my tank, I would remove the 1 for the sake of the others.

3. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

I do not have a QT tank. If this fish is unlikely to make a recovery, I will consider euthanizing it. It will be hard but much better than watching it suffer and I will most likely have to do this a few more times as I continue this hobby.

Any guesses what is wrong with the fish?

4. Jaysee

Truthfully, at this point, it could be just about anything. If there aren't any visual cues to tip us off, it is almost impossible to really know what's going on.

There is a possibility that the fish will die and not affect the others. There is the possibility that it will die and infect the others, and there is the possibility that it will get better. i think the order of likelihood is the order presented. Chances of a recovery are not good, in my experience. Not good enough to risk the others, in my opinion.

5. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Jaysee, do you have any information for euthanizing fish humanely? I would like to begin some research.

6. Jaysee

If you do a search on the forum, you will find dozens of threads on the matter. There is also a sticky somewhere on it.

My preference is an ice bath. Get a cup of ice water, let the water get real cold and put the fish in. The shock stops the heart, killing it in just a couple seconds.

7. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

well, i'm not much an expert on neon tetras, but what i did read once was that neon tetras could catch the neon tetra disease and 1 of the symptoms would be that the fish's colour would be very pale and light.
    Then again i would assume that any neon tetra that is pale in colour would either be stressed out about someting or probably caught a disease.
    Like what Jaysee has mentioned, it would be better to separate that neon tetra to avoid spreading whatever disease it may have caught.. Do update us on how the fish is doing. May the little guy recover. All the best!

8. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

I decided to euthanize him, guys. In the past hour he left his corner and it looked like he was straining against the current. I couldn't find him hiding low in the plants.

I used the ice bath method. This was my first time euthanizing and I thought I was comfortable with my decision but for some reason I feel worse about it AFTER the fact.

9. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

i sorry to hear that :(. My first time euthanizing wasn't such a pleasant moment either. One of my fish had managed to jump out of the tank while i was doing a water change, then my mum accidentally squished it with a cloth because she was wiping the table (because of all the water from the water change) Then my guppy was really shredded up and just floating in the tank, so then i decided to give it an ice bath too, to end its suffering =/.

10. OP
    OP
    lp89

lp89Valued MemberMember

Unfortunately, it just seems to be part of the hobby. :(

Euthanizing the injured fish was the best move for you too.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I just had to euthanize one of my two remaining GBRs...poor thing got herself wedged between the sponge filter and the back wall...I released her as soon as I saw but her eye was all cloudy, and the next day it was totally fuzzy, so bad that she was starting patches down her side. I inspected her closely afterwards and the entire eye socket was necrotic....awful, but I then I know I made the right decision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice