First Time Keeping Neon Tetras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by polishedash, Apr 12, 2017.

1. p

polishedash New Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank and recently got 7 neon tetras and three ghost shrimps.

First thing, is that too many tetras or how many would be too many? I didn't actually plan on getting that many to start with but they were on sale plus the worker gave me one for free at petsmart.

Any tips for them? I'd like them to be happy as long as well fed and their water clean. Anything I can do to enrich their lives as well?

They're well into their second day with me and everyone is swimming together and no one looks stressed or sluggish.

Long time aquarium keeper so water issues shouldn't be a problem and if any pop up for any reason I should be able to fix them. Aquarium filter media was in another tank before being moved to this one.

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest a 20 gallon minimum for them, they are extremely active and would thank you if you get a 20+ gallon tank.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

For the number, you're okay. 6 is needed for a good school and shouldn't really go over that in a 10 gal (it's pushing it a little) however, you can keep the 7th...it won't hurt the bioload (they're small bioloaders) or ravage water quality the tank, especially if your maintaining it.
    Switch up/supplement their diets once in a while. I fed mine with blanched zucchini medallions once a week or so (the shrimps will appreciate this too!)and frozen/freeze-dried for treats. Always remove excess.
    As a side note, if by an off chance you decide to add another type of fish, neons can be fin-nippers, so be wary about those with longer fins!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with aquatickeeper they really need 20 gallons.
    They would be much happier in a 20 gallon long in a group of 10.
    Many people keep neons in water that is too warm. For your stock I would recommend keeping the water around 73f.

5. OP
    OP
    p

polishedash New Member Member

Eventually, I'll probably move them to the 40 gallon, but I've been waiting until I have more time to get it set back up after a heater exploded. Gonna be a big cleaning job there. Luckily there was only three fish in at the time, one got lucky enough to survive and has been moved to a pond outside and happily swimming with older fish (all comet goldfish that have been with us for about three years, going on four). I can move them there later on once it's up and running and look into getting some more for the group.

I'll definitely offer them some zucchini and get some treats for them, too. I gave them some flake food that a friend gave me that's supposed to be higher quality and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Getting some variety probably today when I go out again.

My water is currently about 72f, which is just the house temperature.

Don't plan to add anything else, but if I do add them to a bigger tank or change my mind ever, I'll definitely keep an eye out for nipping!

Thanks so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice