First time having ick...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gouramiguy17, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Ok well I got a new tank and I set it up and when I added the water the tank temp was 78f( it takes skill ;)). Well over the next couple days it fell eventho I had a stealth heater that was on 80. It eventually got down to 72 when I turned the heater to 86 and the water warmed up to 75. But it was too late, my rainbow cichlids were flashing so I turned my heater to the max(90) and the tank is at 80. That is as warm as I can get it, and I know I need to get it hotter but I can't because the heater is at max and my other heater is in use at my other tank and I am sort of broke ATM so I can't buy another heater. What do you guys recommend I do?

2. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

I had this exact same problem. My ich is gone, and I just kept it at 80 for about a month. Idk if that is what got rid of it, but it is worth a try.
    What size is your tank? How many watts is your heater?

I have a Visi-Therm Stealth Pro for my 20 gallon and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!1 :D
    Mine works perfectly, keeping my tank at 78 the entire time. I'm not sure what is wrong with yours, I'm thinking you have the wrong size.

3. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

The heater came with the tank do idk what the wattage is, and this is a 55 gallon.

4. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

*bump

5. benjaminBreaker

It should say. Examine it whenever, the wattage should be written on the side. Then again...if it came with the tank, it should be the right wattage. However, it could just be a crappy heater. I would definitely upgrade.

6. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

It's a stealth heater and it's managed to hold the tank at 80 for a couple of days. The male rainbow cichlid is all better looking but his wife still has a couple ich spots. Will they go away?

7. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

They will go away within a week or two if you keep vacuuming the gravel and keep your water as perfect as can be (frequent vacuuming to remove the ich from the bottom of the tank. To kill ich with heat, you must have a temp of 86*. Keeping the water clean with a temp of 80, you will eventually rid the fish of ich. Best of luck to ya.

8. OP
    OP
    Gouramiguy17

What should I do if I have flourite gravel, it says not to vacum it?

9. benjaminBreaker

Is it cold where you live right now? That may be a contributing factor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice