First Time Fish Tank 8 Gallon Hex

Vyse

Reaction score
20200524_180919.jpg

So I bought this tank a couple of days ago for my almost 5 year old and myself to have our first pet together. He wanted glofish so we bought the glofish tank. Niave me did no research before buying this and didn't realize I did should have probably gone bigger. Anyway, he really wants glofish and more than 1 optimally. Would I able to keep 5 small glofish in here? I read they are schooling fish and shouldn't really be kept in smaller numbers. The other option would be a glo betta which I'm probably leaning more towards, but he really wants more than 1 fish. Thoughts?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Depending on the glofish, you are gonna need a big tank. I have no idea what species of fish you are talking about, so I'm gonna assume danios. Zebra danios(or skirt tetras if thats what you are talking about) really should have a 20 gallon tank, and I lean towards 20 long. The 8 gallon hex may work for a betta, I'm not too sure about dimensions though but from the photo it looks alright. Tiger barbs need a 20 gallon too if I remember correctly, and a glo shark IMO need 55 gallon minimum, for all these you want floorspace over height.
I would do more research on things like the nitrogen cycle, basic fish disease and appropriate treatment, specific care requirements for fish, etc.
Welcome to fishlore btw :)

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, have you read on the nitrogen cycle? If not you should

it’s ok to have a temporary tank that is small.
I think you can keep a few of them in this but upgrade to maybe a 20 gallon some day and get more fish and more types.

I’ve heard glo bettas are not what people should buy but im not sure the exact reasoning.

if you have any further questions I’d be glad to help out

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
1 glow betta would probably do just fine in there. Since its more tall than wide and only 8 gallons its probably not the best for any of the schooling glow fish like the glow danios.

OP
Vyse

Vyse

Reaction score
I've read about the cycling and am doing a fish food cycle. That's what they recommended at the store. They said to bring in a sample in a few days. Any advice on cycling would be very welcome as well!

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Throwing my 2 cents in here.

I would avoid getting a glo betta,just because all the ones I have seen at the stores have been in horrible health. They are also often blind.
If you get a white betta (such as the white opal males PetCo carries) they will “glow” under the blue light as well, and are around the same price- if not cheaper.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could get a betta and a snail.

The glowfish = black skirt tetra, or danios, or tiger barbs, and they are active fish and they need to be in schools of 8. A 20 gallon long is the minimum for these species.
The glowfish shark needs a 55 gallon or larger tank with not other sharks.

Im sorry, there is no such thing as a glo betta, but a betta will look awesome in there, lighter colors will jump out in the black light as much as any actually bio luminescent coloring. consider bringing a blacklight flashlight to the petstore to help you choose your fish. A nerite snail or two will also be a nice addition. or you could try shrimp.
OOps, sorry, I never heard of glo fish bettas until today. And now i am hearing that they are not healthy? I would consider a normal betta with some light colors, I think it would look even prettier that way with multiple colors then all one color, that beeing said, I have always heard that keeping a black light on in a fish tank for more then a couple hours a day is unhealthy.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ArtFish said:
Hi, have you read on the nitrogen cycle? If not you should

it’s ok to have a temporary tank that is small.
I think you can keep a few of them in this but upgrade to maybe a 20 gallon some day and get more fish and more types.

I’ve heard glo bettas are not what people should buy but im not sure the exact reasoning.

if you have any further questions I’d be glad to help out
I saw a dead glo Betta at the store and it was leaking its "glowi-ness" into the water, like the water around it was turning a phosphorus green.--- I should have taken a picture!

OP
Vyse

Vyse

Reaction score
They do have glow bettas they are new and I saw some when I bought the tank

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Willj626 said:
I saw a dead glo Betta at the store and it was leaking its "glowi-ness" into the water, like the water around it was turning a phosphorus green.
Oh, that’s sad
I think they might’ve been breed wrongly or something and their not as healthy. Idk

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dislike globettas. No hate to the bettas themselves, just the overall aspect of it.
If you want one, go ahead, its your choice :). However, I would recommend getting a normal and hopefully healthy-looking betta as they do have a variety of colors. Of course, nowadays betta splendens aren't the hardiest usually mostly due to poorer genetics.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ArtFish said:
Oh, that’s sad
I think they might’ve been breed wrongly or something and their not as healthy. Idk
My guess is that the company genetically modified a few pairs, bred them, than used the offspring to make the rest, doing a lot of inbreeding.
If done responsibly and smartly, inbreeding can be done, but I don’t think they were really being to careful.
Just a guess, though. I don’t want to flood this thread.... maybe I should make some kind of glo betta discussion thread.

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaCaitlin said:
My guess is that the company genetically modified a few pairs, bred them, than used the offspring to make the rest, doing a lot of inbreeding.
If done responsibly and smartly, inbreeding can be done, but I don’t think they were really being to careful.
Just a guess, though. I don’t want to flood this thread.... maybe I should make some kind of glo betta discussion thread.
That would be an interesting thread
When I think of glo bettas I think of glow sticks lol

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vyse said:
They do have glow bettas they are new and I saw some when I bought the tank
Yes, Sorry, I should have checked before answering,

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you checked out any other fish that could go in the 8 gallon?
fish are fun to look at even if they dont have all the bright colors
-Do you plan on getting super involved with fish keeping? If so the 8 gallon will be a great size for a quarantine tank or a temporary holding tank until you get a larger tank.
-Do you have a lot of time to take care of the fish if you do get a larger tank? Since fish keeping can be time consuming sometimes.

Also it’s smart of you to do research on these fish before buying them since with my first fish I didn’t do any research until they got sick.

OP
Vyse

Vyse

Reaction score
Are there any small fish that would look good in here and be able to live
ArtFish said:
Have you checked out any other fish that could go in the 8 gallon?
fish are fun to look at even if they dont have all the bright colors
-Do you plan on getting super involved with fish keeping? If so the 8 gallon will be a great size for a quarantine tank or a temporary holding tank until you get a larger tank.
-Do you have a lot of time to take care of the fish if you do get a larger tank? Since fish keeping can be time consuming sometimes.

Also it’s smart of you to do research on these fish before buying them since with my first fish I didn’t do any research until they got sick.
I do have plenty of time being a stay at home dad but I probably wouldn't be getting another tank. My wife is in the military and we move around every 2-3 years so it would become an issue if we have to rehome a lot of fish. I do want to make this little tank a good home for whatever fish we do end up putting in.

OP
Vyse

Vyse

Reaction score
Sorry that last post got split up somehow. Are there any other small fish that would live comfortably in 8 gallons in a small community?

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could possibly get a few guppies which are very colorful and cute. (I would recommend all males)
The problem is that the tank is tall and not long and guppies usually swim at the top and use the length of the tank but they do swim around the full tank too sometimes.

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Vyse said:
Sorry that last post got split up somehow. Are there any other small fish that would live comfortably in 8 gallons in a small community?
Shrimp probably aren't as interesting to a kid but some neocardina shrimp have colors that would look cool under blacklight. My other top picks would be guppies, dwarf frogs, pea puffers (I know its kinda controversial), or some of the smaller killifish -these are all fish I have kept, besides the killifish, in 10 gallon tanks before. A Betta with some shrimp or even a dwarf cray would be pretty interesting for your kids to watch.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom