First time cycling Help

1. F

Fishnugget43 Valued Member Member

Hi, I am cycling both my 50g and my 5g Tanks, I used TSS on my 16 g so im a bit foggy with it. Do I just bring it up to 5ppm each day and when its down to 0 Amonia 0 nitrite and 4-8 nitrate its cycled? If I put a plastic plant or two from my 16g will my 50g Cycle faster?

:;swls

2. VenomGrass

VenomGrass Valued Member Member

Hey there. Im not too sure about adding ammonia for the fishless cycle as I only done it with fish :). But as for the plastic plant issue; the majority of bacteria is founf in the filter media and substrate gravel. Try maybe using some filter media from the cycled tank and placing some gravel inside a sock and putting into the new tank. :)

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If you used TSS, you're supposed to add fish, not ammonia. Bringing it up to 5 will kill TSS.
    Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

If your 16g is well established, you can cut a peice of used filter media and put that in the new filter You can also take a handful of gravel (from the established tank) and put it in some clean, never seen soap panty hose and hang it in the 5g. That should give you almost instant cycle. Add you fish, but keep a close eye on your parameters.

You can try that with your 50, but it's easier to cycle a smaller tank from a bigger one than it is to cycle a larger tank from a smaller one.

Good luck and congrats on going fishy-less!

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You used TSS to cycle your 16g, but now are cycling 2 new tanks fishless? I agree with Lucy, they'll establish much quicker if you cut out media from your 16g and put it directly into the new filters. Just be careful that you don't cut out so much that you send your 16g into a mini-cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    F

I used TSS on my 16g And put Ammonia in the other two. No Ammonia has gone into the 16g, Thanks.

TSS took too long to get here and is too expensive with the shipping I need. Thats why these two tanks will be cycled this way.

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Read the link about TSS. If the directions aren't followed by the letter, you could be setting yourself up for failure.
    If it were me, for the 5g, I'd do a 100% water change, seed the tank and depending on your stock, add the fish.

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

is the 16g with TSS done cycling? if so , how long ago?
    the ammonia method on the other tanks will work fine but if your 16g hasnt been up and stable for a few months, i wouldnt touch anything on it to help with the other tanks..its just too new to mess with the colony IMO

8. OP
    OP
    F

Yes, I didnt want to touch the filter in the 16 g cuz its only been cycled for a month or two...

9. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the TSS and what did it cost. Being in the US it should be available localy if not I have seen it on Ebay at a decent price. I did a 75 gallon and I bought enough for a 90 gallon tank and it was under $30.00

10. OP
    OP
    F

Ya, I know I just dont have the spare cash after setting up the two new tanks haha. I should have looked ahead... BUT I have plenty of Ammonia so I'll see how it goes. Im interested to see how it works/ turns out...

Oh Does AMQuel+ Stop the cycle? or just detoxify?

11. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

amquel+ just detoxify's