First Time Cycling, Lots Of Questions:

RyanC

Reaction score
Situation : Ok I just bought a 38 Gal tank
I've set it up with 2 live plants and a few decorations.

I have a fancy goldfish that has been in an uncycled 3 Gal tank for over a year. That tank broke and I transfered him to a 1,5 gal bowl for the last 1 month until I could afford a nicer aqurium.

^ so he's a pretty hardy fish. Still healthy and active.

Problem:I want to get him into his new home as soon as possible, but I hear cycles take months to start.

So I bought nutrfin cycle product to speed up the cycle. I read here that nutra is no good as it introduces the wrong types of bacteria.

Questions:
1. Would my fish be better off in this 38 gal uncycled tank than the bowl he's currently in?
2. Although the bacterias are the wrong type in nutrfin cycle product, can I use it for 6 weeks and then the right type of beneficial bacteria will naturally show up in my tank?
3. If I decide to use nutrafincycle, and am willing to keep buying it, is it a safe realiable product?
4. I also have some doubts about nitrate and nitrate from what I understand ammonia becomes nitrate, which in turn becomes nitrate, and then the bacteria eats the nitrate

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get answers.

RyanC said:
lso have some doubts about nitrate and nitrate from what I understand becomes nitrate, which in turn becomes nitrate, and then the bacteria eats the nitrate
Sorry I meant to say amonía becomes nitrate which in turns becomes nitrite

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Close. Ammonia becomes nitrite. Nitrite becomes nitrate.

You can cycle the tank without any cycle additives and it will take four to six weeks. I prefer the natural method. It's reliable. I'm not sold on the cycle starters.

I've cycled many tanks with goldfish. I fed lightly, did 25% water changes every other day, and tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate the days that did not have water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic, nitrate less so. Ammonia showed up, then nitrite showed up and ammonia lowered, then nitrate showed up and nitrite lowered. Once you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and nitrates, your tank is cycled. Do water changes to dilute the nitrates. The ammonia and nitrites never accumulated to the point where the fish were affected.

RyanC

Reaction score
WhoKnows said:
Close. Ammonia becomes nitrite. Nitrite becomes nitrate.

You can cycle the tank without any cycle additives and it will take four to six weeks. I prefer the natural method. It's reliable. I'm not sold on the cycle starters.

I've cycled many tanks with goldfish. I fed lightly, did 25% water changes every other day, and tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate the days that did not have water changes. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic, nitrate less so. Ammonia showed up, then nitrite showed up and ammonia lowered, then nitrate showed up and nitrite lowered. Once you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and nitrates, your tank is cycled. Do water changes to dilute the nitrates. The ammonia and nitrites never accumulated to the point where the fish were affected.
I just did my first test and returned with 0.25 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate. I did this test a few hours after adding the cycle stuff. Anyway you're right maybe I should just throw the cycle product into the trash.

Also I did pH tests but they were inconclusive the kit comes with pH and pH high.
I did both.
PH high came back as pure brown which means 7.4 or lower and normal PH came as a dark blue which means 7.6 or higher.... Sooo idk

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom