First Time Cycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shannon1007, Jun 26, 2018.

1. S

Shannon1007 New Member Member

Hi all,
    Have just setup my first freshwater tank for myself (I did have a tank before but at the time my partner cycled it for me) and am wondering what these readings indicate. I know the tank isn't cycled yet but am I far off? Started cycling using Api quickstart 12 days ago. Any advice and or expertise appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

You are still in the very beginning stages of cycling. How have you been adding ammonia to your tank? Right now you have 0.25-0.5 ppm Ammonia 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. It will take some time for the bacteria to develop and start to convert that Ammonia into Nitrite and then a while longer after that to convert the Nitrite to Nitrate. Do you have another tank you can borrow some filter media from?

3. OP
    OP
    S

Shannon1007 New Member Member

This product.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2018
  4. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

I would steer away from quickstart as the bacteria used are land based and wont do well in an aquarium in the long run. This is a useful thread on the topic Question - API Quick Start

Tetra Safe Start is more common but most bacterial starters are hit and miss. The best way to start is with media from an established tank whether that be your own, a friends, or from a fish store that you trust. A decent amount of media (especially in such a small tank) will have you cycled in less than a week compared to a few weeks with most bacterial starters. Also, the cycle from established media is less likely to crash and just tends to be a more efficient option IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice