First Time Cichlid Substrate Sand! Cloudy?

FriendsAreFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I gave my dad one of my tanks and he really wanted to try this sand.. he filled it over 24 hrs ago and rinsed the sand as instructed on the bag. He decided to empty it and retry because when he filled it, he disturbed the sand a lot and the cloudiness never went down even a little. Any tips? Is it normal to be this cloudy for over 24hrs? Sorry I didn't take a picture before we started emptying it but the entire tank was this cloudy.
62f0f6c051bd72a258ca9b546f7b84c9.jpg

Matthiasfanu

Valued Member
Reaction score
How long did he rinse it for? I used pool filter sand in my new aquarium and I was out rinsing for almost 3 hours! Also helps to hold a plate or something to disperse the water when filling the tank so it doesn't disturb the sand as much

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah when cleaning sand it can take some effort. I understand people get excited about getting a tank with sand but you really need to clean that thing up. When I got pool filter sand it took me about 2 hours to clean 50 lbs of that stuff. It's a long process.

Pour sand, rinse sand, rinse again, dump water, refill water, stir, dump water, refill...is it cloudy...rinse and repeat.

Once you get that bucket done off to the next 10 lbs, see instructions above.

If you think it's completely clean than all that stuff should settle down, if it's been a few days and it's still like that, it's not clean.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's agonizingly slow... but worth it. Rinse and repeat. Otherwise get some filter floss, fill the filter with nothing but floss and run a few days... then toss out the floss. Been there.

FriendsAreFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you everyone! We rinsed the sand more, I refilled the tank for him slowly and evenly dispersed. (he has a bad shoulder that's why he was just dumping the water in) it's already soo much clearer!! I'll send update photo tomorrow!

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The process for putting sand into a tank is:
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
You haven't rinsed it enough, rinse it some more.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Rinse the sand.
Still not enough, get sick of it and put it in the tank anyway.
Wait for it to clear up.
Day one.
Day two.
Day three
Still cloudy.
Day four.
Day five. Post on messageboards asking how long it will take to clear up?
Day six...Still not clear...
Day seven yaaay it's clearing a little!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom