First Time? Blood Parrot Spawning With Severum

1. Kobobird

Kobobird Valued Member Member

I've looked this up a thousand times by now and can only find posts saying it's not possible at all and some people saying that their fish did but no photographic evidence. So I might have something cool here. Anyway, my blood parrot and severum have spawned. For years I thought my blood parrot was male and I just thought the eggs wouldn't be fertile and then I realized she was the one laying eggs. The severum came behind her and fertilized the eggs. 24 hours later only a few turned white and the rest were great looking. They stayed nice and grayish brown for the next 36 hours and then the white eggs began spreading, very fast. All the eggs caught a fungus and died. The parents guarded them for the next three days and then ate them. They've laid a second time and the same thing happened. They're looking like they're gonna lay here soon again. So yeah, my blood parrot laid eggs and the severum fertilized them. They haven't realized they need to eat the unfertilized eggs. But yeah I'm pretty excited about this and just thought I would share. Here's my video proof please no rash hateful comments. I know not everyone likes hybrids but I'm 14 and these are the first fish I've ever had spawn. So let me know what y'all think!

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

No hate at all! I think it's kind of cool. The fungus happens when the egg dies, this would probably mean something went wrong, which is kind of expected.

Do you know what would come of it? I'm not a cichlid person, but I assumed you've googled. Do the eggs ever survive?

3. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

From what I've found this hasn't been done before! I've only found a few people saying it happened but no photo evidence. I have no clue how they would turn out so I'm trying my best to hatch them next time they lay. Any tips people have is appreciated!

4. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

In case anyone was wondering I will obviously cull any babies with any deformities worse than what blood parrots have now. That is if I ever get them to hatch.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it has historically been accepted that central american cichlids cannot successfully spawn with south americans. That being said, I've seen people say their convicts spawn with south americans and i've seen some pretty deformed severums that people say are a mix of sevs and cons.

No hard evidence but it is definitely possible for central and souths to spawn just not successfully. It is possible (just rare...but not extremely so) that the female parrots are fertile but usually whatever male they match up with will fertilize and the eggs fail or the eggs turn white in a short amount of time.

If you end up with free swimming babies, then that would be something.

6. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

That's exactly what I thought too. I thought I was crazy because centrals and South Americans couldn't spawn together. The parents refuse to eat the unfertilized eggs (white ones) and then it spreads to the good eggs and turns them white too. I'm gonna pull the next batch and see if I can hatch them.

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Centrals and souths can spawn...but i don't think there it's documented to have been successful.

Though @chromedome52 probably knows much more than i do on the subject

8. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Oh thanks for clearing that up! Yeah my next goal is hatching them out. But that'll be a challenge. If anyone has tips on hatching eggs I'd appreciate it!

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The probability is that they won't ever hatch, which is ironic. The original Bloody Parrots were claimed to be a cross between a Red Devil and a Gold Severum, which has been proven to be false. The only genes that show up in genetic testing are Amphilophus labiatus. This information is not widely known for some reason.

However, there are a few SA and CA cichlids that can interbreed successfully. The relationships are not that distant for certain groups found in Colombia. I have also seen 'successful' convict x severum crosses; ugly things, not due to deformity, but rather a complete lack of any redeeming color. From what I have heard, they are also genetically sterile. One generation and done.

10. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Oh well that's good to know. Thanks for the information!

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

They haven't "spawned". I know, eggs layed, sperm sprayed. But fertilization seems not present.

It's just lonely fish. Severum are social fish that should be kept in small groups in large tanks. We keep them alone, and they will do weird and desperate things. All manner of Cichlids can pair up and have infertile spawns, and I am sorry to say, it isn't rare. I have read of parrots spawning with almost anything. The urge to breed is their great motivation, and if we shut off that possibility, many will try anyway.

I believe Central American species started in South America and radiated out, evolving as they went. That seems to be the story for livebearers, and I think for Cichlids too. Whether species can cross depends on how far apart they are at this point in their history.

12. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Infertile eggs turn white in 24 hours correct? The eggs they've laid are grayish brown for up to 48 hours and then they turn white as the fungus spreads. Do you think they aren't fertilized still? I'm not trying to sound rude and question you, I'm just trying to better understand.

13. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have had unfertilized eggs in clean water sit clear. But nothing happens inside them - they stay clear.
    There is also the possibility, technically, of babies too deformed to live developing in eggs, but being too weak or deformed to hatch. That has been reported with killie hybrids.
    Hybrids can die at any stage in the development including a day or two after hatching.

14. OP
    OP
    Kobobird

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up! Since the eggs probably won't hatch should I start pulling them out every time they lay or just leave them and let the parents eat them after a few days?