First time Betta tank set up help needed

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
55cm w
25cm d
25cm h
Thanks guys. I'll take out one of my old filter sponges from the big tank (replace it with a new one) I'll put the old sponge in the new tank to run along side the new sponges. And get some bacteria to add. I already have a hospital/nursery tank set up for emergencies :)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Use the mature filter media. Leave it running for a couple of weeks and keep adding some sort of good bacteria addative. I would reccomend Tetra 'Safe Start'. Test the water and when good params come up then add the betta(s).<br>
You need to add the fish at the same time as the seeded filter media/TSS+ or the bacteria will starve.

Grimund

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Whoops. I kinda assumed you were going to/running HOB's, but if you're running multiple sponges then that will surely work.

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks all :) I'll add the water, old filter sponge and bacteria right before putting the fish in then.

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use api stress coat for my water conditioner. I did try looking for prime but it wasn't available in any of my lfs's. I'm wondering if it's because I'm in the uk? I was debating on using the evolution aqua pure aquarium bacteria balls instead of TSS, do you have any experience with them?

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No experience with bacteria balls here. Looking over quickly what I could find online, it looks like they should help out, though I would definitely recommend seeding the media in the other tank too. They don't seem to be an instant start up like TSS, and suggest ongoing usage, which I'm thinking may mean they have a higher concentration of aerobic bacteria that won't continue to survive in the tank.

I'm still not convinced on the cost of the tank, but I'm betting it's going to look beautiful once it's done

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to replace one of the filter sponges in my juwel 3.0 filter system (main established tank) and use the old sponge in the new tank along side the new filter sponges. 50% water from my main tank and 50% fresh water. With the addition of either bacteria balls or tss. I'll add the fish the same day I add the water, used filter sponge, bacteria etc so the good bacteria doesn't die off. Is that everything?

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm a bit paranoid, it's a bit scary starting a tank from scratch. So nervous!

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Other than I wouldn't bother doing the water from the main tank since it will have very little BB, yep, I think that's everything Starting with the seeded media will really be a big help for the cycle. If you want to be a little more gentle on the cycle, you could always do one betta at a time as well instead of adding all 3 at once.

What types are you going to get?

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't think of that! Good idea. I've ordered a white and silver double tail and a purple red and white half moon dumbo. I've taken a screen shot from the videos but they aren't the best pics. For the 3rd I plan on a tri colour crowntail :) can you recommend a good food for Bettas?

Shedzy1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys :) I'm so excited to get them! Going shopping tomorrow for some bogwood plants etc. I'll put them in my main tank until it's time to set up the tank. Moss balls too, I like those, have them already in my main tank and nursery/hospital lol.

Pikachu13131

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I didn't think of that! Good idea. I've ordered a white and silver double tail and a purple red and white half moon dumbo. I've taken a screen shot from the videos but they aren't the best pics. For the 3rd I plan on a tri colour crowntail :) can you recommend a good food for Bettas?
Mine will eat any food I put in the tank,but he likes brine shrimp the best he also likes new life spectrum all purpose formula.

Grimund

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feed mine tetra betta plus. I haven't had the extra floating around to try other things or offer a snack.

Deshelled peas are great. Soaked in tank water and cut up real good. It helps with and is a preventative for constipation and swim bladder issues, but offers no nutrition.

Annie424

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed my bettas pellets, frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp, and occasionally live brine shrimps. I have a planted tank, and also ghost shrimps/mystery snails in both and feed them fresh veggies so can't discount that my bettas might nibble on those occasionally. My schedule is 2-3 days of pellets, one day of frozen foods, then a day of fasting. Over and over, although I will take a few days in a row of feeding the live brine shrimps once a month (I get a very small amount, and feed over the course of about 3-4 days in a row as that's all they will live and be active) then a fast of one or two days days after the live foods are done. Then back to pellets and the regular course. That schedule seems to keep them accepting of the pellets if that is the food they get after a fast. Oh yes, almost forgot...I do notice a reduction in ghost shrimps over the course of a month. Either they are sickly when I get them (ghost shrimps are mostly sold as feeders so don't get the best of care during shipment ) or my bettas go into hunting mode on their fast days.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom