First time Betta tank set up help needed

1. Shedzy1985 Initiate Member

Hi, I'm looking at buying the aqua one betta duo tank. As for cycling, if I put the filter sponges in my current established tank for a couple of weeks and siphon the water from my current tank, will it then be ready to add the fish?

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Get your water tested before you add fish.

3. Shedzy1985 Initiate Member

Yes I always test the water, was just checking if there was anything else I needed to do with setting it up from scratch.

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Is it a 1gal tank?

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That tank is too small for one betta, let alone two. 2.5 gal is the minimum tank size for one betta.

If you add media from an established tank to a new one, you want to add fish at the same time or the bacteria will die from the lack of an ammonia source.

Don't add water from your established tank - it won't do anything except add waste.

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You should get a 15 gallon tank with a divider.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Even a 10 gal divided will work, and 10 gal tanks are very easy to find and cheap.

8. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

I'd recommend a minimum of 5G for each fish. If you want 2 bettas and have the space, get 2 10G tanks so they can each have their own. If you get a 10G and divide it (or a 20G long and divide it) try to divide the tank so that they do not have direct line of sight with each other. If they can see each other and are in a divided tank, they might spend all of their time flaring and posturing at each other, which is stressful for them. If you can use media from an already cycled tank in your new one, you can set up the tank and add the fish right away - just make sure you do daily tests for awhile as depending upon the size of the tank you are taking media from, it might take a little while for the bacteria to build up to enough to support the new tank(s).

9. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think a 15 will be better 10 inches of space isn't very much for a betta a 15 gallon gives two extra inches.

10. Pikachu13131 Member Member

They will also have less problems with a 15

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Bigger is most always better, but a 10 gal divided in half is perfectly adequate and healthy for a betta. A 10 gal won't necessarily have more problems than a 15 gal.

12. KyleMarie Member Member

I just recently got my Betta fish about a month ago. At the beginning I had my Bettas in two of the quarantine tanks I had, a one gallon and a 1.5 gallon, and I found out very quickly that there was not enough space for them to explore and have a good time. So, I upgraded them both to their own 5 gallon tanks (one has two African Dwarf Frogs as well). They seem much happier, more active, and more entertained in the bigger tanks. So, I would say that I would either get a 10 gallon divided tank or some 5 gallon tanks for them. My Bettas love the space!

13. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

In regards to the cycling, yes, running the sponge filters in your current tank will help seed the media and drastically reduce the time needed to cycle the new tanks, but using the old tank water will do basically nothing.

I'm going to clarify something, I think the size of the tank is ok for two bettas. It's smaller than I would personally do, but it is a 5.3 gallon tank, which gives you about 2-2.5 gallons per betta (depending on how much room that filtration takes up in the back). http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-duo...YwL33uODIh8d4sgxk-AAQOkXN-2h1YSPithoCOhPw_wcB

I don't, however, think it's worth the price, and I don't like the fact that you can't really change it around if you decide you do want to give your little ones more space later on, but that may just be my personal like of being able to customize things as I go.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

When I googled it, I saw something very different with a much smaller tank size. Thanks for clarification! I must've been looking at something different.

15. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

It took me some hunting :)

16. Shedzy1985 Initiate Member

I ended up getting the trio tank yesterday which is 32 litre. I only just saw these replys. I'm worried now :-( image.png

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

At least you aren't cramming two betta into a half gallon "betta view" from Walmart :)

It does give each betta about 2.5 gallons each. While not totally ideal, betta can live in that space. The 8 gallons does offer you more stability in parameters than three individual 2.5 gallon tanks, too.

For spacial reasons, I have my two in 2.5 gal tanks and they still have personality to spare.

18. Shedzy1985 Initiate Member

Thanks Grimund. The guy at the lfs told me to syphon tank water from my main big tank and squeeze an old filter sponge from the main tank in the new tank water. Then said it would then be ready in about a week. Guessing I should not do this?

19. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Nope. Your bacteria needed is pretty much on the filter media itself. Using old tank water only puts water into the tank as well as the waste inside of the other tank. You're better off just adding extra media into the existing tank filter and let it sit there for about a week or two to let the bacteria populate it. On top of that, even if it did give you a decent amount of bacteria by squeezing a sponge, the bacteria would starve without the ammonia/nitrite source.

I would use media designed for bacteria, there's plenty to choose from (bio balls, matrix, etc), or the new filter cartridge and cram it in with the established filter. To prevent/reduce a spike after you've colonized some BB (Beneficial Bacteria), a bacteria supplement is encouraged for the new tank. Just be sure to place the cartridge in when you put your new fish(es) in.

I recommend getting a small hospital tank incase one of them gets sick. It's better to nip a problem in the bud before it gets out of hand with triple the issues.

Edit: how wide is the tank? I'm curious.

20. BellatheBetta Member Member

Use the mature filter media. Leave it running for a couple of weeks and keep adding some sort of good bacteria addative. I would reccomend Tetra 'Safe Start'. Test the water and when good params come up then add the betta(s).<br>