First Time Betta Build!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Iridium_2256, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

Hey guys, im venturing into both the world of plants and bettas right now.

I'm starting tonight, i will have pictures by the morning. I'm rinsing the gravel, filling the tank and i have an already established sponge filter to add.

2. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Good start!

What size tank are we talking here?

Got any ideas for plants? Depending on what you're looking for, we can help find what'll fit your tank the best.

3. emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Here's what I'd suggest:
    10 gallon tank
    Black Sand
    Anubis, Java Fern + one more I can't remember the name of lol
    1 betta (M or F?)
    Shrimp? Snails?

4. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I'm using a 5 gallon (bear minimum, I know) a Java fern, a Moss ball or two and the guy who runs my last recommended me fluorite. I'm planning to do on a mystery snail with a shorter fine variety of betta, I could use some suggestions there, 20180422_094026.jpg
    This is just a temporary spot for the tank, we're moving stuff around so I get a stand today. That gravel and the few bladder snails are getting scooped out and the tank is getting a 40% change so I can add the flourite. 20180422_111157.jpg
    Here the rinsed flourite, it turned my driveway a nice shade of earthen red (parents weren't too happy, lol) I'm just waiting for the table to become avalable. I'll have more news soon.

5. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

2.5 gallons is usually considered the minimum. 5.5 is perfect!

For a short finned betta, look into plakats. They're a little hard to find, but I had a male plakat in a 10 gallon a few years ago. Beautiful fish, blue with cream colored fins. If you can't find any plakats, look into some more colorful females. I actually prefer females due to their higher activity level, and you can get some females with amazing color.

Be careful with large snails and bettas. Some will kill the snails. You can usually get away with smaller snails, but be careful.

The only reason to really run Fluorite (IMO) is if you have rooted plants, and none of the plants you have root in the substrate. Look into some rooting plants, and as long as your lighting is sufficient, you should have a good time with the fluorite.

6. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

What do you recommened for easy rooted plants?

7. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Micro Swords are pretty easy. Anacharis is too, but it'll grow pretty quickly. S. Repens makes for a easy "carpeting" plant.

8. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I've had to repurpose the tank for a little while to take care of my sick kribensis. I'm hoping she will recover soon, ill post again once she is out of the tank.

9. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

The kribensis didn't make it:(. I'm going to be doing an 80% water change to add in the fluorite today and remove some pest snails that made their way in there(they breed quick) and I will be taking LoreKeeper's advice and getting some micro sword.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice