First-time Betta Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Iridium_2256, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

So, In a week or 2 there i'm gonna have more space in my room and i have decided I want a planted betta tank. I already have a 5 gallon tank and top, and I will be picking up a small submersible filter and a small heater. I'm planning to get one of the shorter fin varieties like a wine red. Any advice on what plants to get, substrate to use, or just some tips?

Much appreciated!

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

For my wild bettas, i always put aponogeton in the aquarium for them. it's still a small plant in width, but gives you the height you want. Your probably going with black water also which is what i do for my wild bettas. Put in some low light plants. You can't miss with java fern.

3. heybrittany

heybrittany Valued Member Member

I really like anubias and the sponge filter I just put in my five gallon. Snails and moss balls are cool too, I like netrites the most. Edited to say maybe avoid sand as bettas sometimes eat it. Black substrate always looks nice in a planted tank and makes everything really pop.

4. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

I concur with DutchAquarium: All he'll likely need is a couple of moss balls and a Java Fern or two. And maybe something else for extra stimulation. I actually have one blue, baby double-tail male who's "imprinting" quite well with about 2, 3 month old Platy fry. They all "school" in a mini-trio/clique and they're all friends!!! lol (but he doesn't seem to care about the SAE's though heh)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice