First time beta fish owner

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello new to the fish game and this forum. Got a 10 gal tank with a male whitefin beta. Looking for some advice on lights for the tank/plants

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
welcome to the fourm :D feel free to ask any question you may have. It says you're not familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle. The Nitrogen cycle is very crucial for all aquariums/fish to help establish Beneficial Bacteria in the filter & tank to ensure fish waste is being removed.

Many plants are low lighting plants. Some i have experienced is water sprite and especially Anbias plants. I have many plants but I find that my betta loves to swim through floating ludwigia repens, amazon swords, & water sprite! I do reccomend Anubis plants as some types have big leaves that bettas love to lay on as they would the betta hammock! Every betta has a different personality but plants do provide oxygen to the water and intake fish waste. I also always recommend Indian Almond Leaves & Roobios Tea to release Tannin & help with bettas slime coats, and provide anti-bacterial properties .

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alx said:
Welcome! Lots of plants don't need much lighting at all.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?
No I'm not but heard about it. I just got it originally for my daughter but now it's become my hobby

Blueberrybetta said:
welcome to the fourm :D feel free to ask any question you may have. It says you're not familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle. The Nitrogen cycle is very crucial for all aquariums/fish to help establish Beneficial Bacteria in the filter & tank to ensure fish waste is being removed.

Many plants are low lighting plants. Some i have experienced is water sprite and especially Anbias plants. I have many plants but I find that my betta loves to swim through floating ludwigia repens, amazon swords, & water sprite! I do reccomend Anubis plants as some types have big leaves that bettas love to lay on as they would the betta hammock! Every betta has a different personality but plants do provide oxygen to the water and intake fish waste. I also always recommend Indian Almond Leaves & Roobios Tea to release Tannin & help with bettas slime coats, and provide anti-bacterial properties .
Yea I thought I needed some type of supplement for live plants but the LFS said try them out naturally then if they start dying get supplements. My betta seems to like his log and checked out the sword a little bit but he always hangs by the filter and sleeps behind the heater. I do have the tank at 78 tho. Just need a lil inexpensive light tonjeeps the plants and betta boy happy

Also the LFS said that I shouldn't feed him live brine shrimp or bloodworms but the bug bite flake brand. Is this true?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Flake food dont provide much nutrients for bettas plus its easy to overfeed and cause extra waste from flake food. I would switch to a pellet food & some frozen or live food. Bloodworms and live food are great for bettas as treats only, not everyday food. They are just high in fat so its not reccomend as an everyday diet or it will lead to constipation in the betta. Live food, frozen food, and bloodworms do benefit bettas attitudes , fins and color though so its reccomend to feed them fatty foods once a week. Other than that, basic pellets are good for everyday diet. Make sure you pre soak the pellets because they expand in water, soaking prevent them from expanding in bettas stomach and causing Swim Bladder Disease and Constipation.

Jaykay1stBetta said:
No I'm not but heard about it. I just got it originally for my daughter but now it's become my hobby

Yea I thought I needed some type of supplement for live plants but the LFS said try them out naturally then if they start dying get supplements. My betta seems to like his log and checked out the sword a little bit but he always hangs by the filter and sleeps behind the heater. I do have the tank at 78 tho. Just need a lil inexpensive light tonjeeps the plants and betta boy happy
It depends on the type of plants you have, some do fine without high tech lighting or ferts and some plants do need both. I know my Amazon Sword grows very fast and bushy with root tabs liquid ferts , and CO2. Mostly all plants will do better if you provide ferts, CO2 or tabs. Especially if you use gravel, then i highly reccomend some type of root tabs for root feeders and liquids ferts for column feeders

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
It depends on the type of plants you have, some do fine without high tech lighting or ferts and some plants do need both. I know my Amazon Sword grows very fast and bushy with root tabs liquid ferts , and CO2. Mostly all plants will do better if you provide ferts, CO2 or tabs. Especially if you use gravel, then i highly reccomend some type of root tabs for root feeders and liquids ferts for column feeders
I have java moss and amazon sword. Just bought the today. I also acclimated and transferred my betta same day I bought him so I guess I'm late on the nitro cycle. Any suggestions on a good pellet/ treat food. The LFS said I should try the plants naturally before adding anything to them but he was new i think. I have natural substrate rocks now if you can see them in my picture
How do I get this nitro cycle started without spending too much. I've already spent about 200 on what I have now. And i still need light and now this nitro cycle

Also turned my filter off the night. It was throwing the java moss roots around even though I tied most to his artificial log

alx said:
Welcome! Lots of plants don't need much lighting at all.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?
No please enlighten me

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I suggest any "San Francisco Bay Brand" frozen food. I use frozen brine shrimp and my betta goes crazy! I feed him frozen food once a week. I found mine from Petco but Petsmart sells some as well. For pellet food, i use "Tetra Bettamin small pellets" and "Omega One Betta Treat Bloodworms" so a good variety throughout the week.
20200308_052902.jpg

The Nitrogen cycle is the very important process of building up Beneficial Bacteria that eats away the toxic ammonia waste your fish produce everyday. If your tank is not cycled, then ammonia , nitrite, and nitrate will buildup very quickly and kill all living fish/inverts in the tank. At this point you will have to do a Fish-In cycle , which I have no expericne with, only fishless cycling. I do know with fish-in cycling, youll have to do very frequent water changes every day or other day to keep you parameters stable for fish. Your betta will also be providing the ammonia waste to feed the BB that will then convert to nitrite then to nitrate. Do you know your water parameters? If not , buy the API freshwater testing kit to monitor your parameters weekly, test strips are a waste of money & dont test for ammonia. A fully cycled tank will show 0ppm Ammonia , 0ppm Nitrite and at least 10ppm Nitrate . You can read more about the Nitrogen cycle and the importance of it here ---> Nitrogen Cycle

It may be helpful to make another thread on "fish-in cycling" or use the search bar to look at previous threads about the topic.

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
I suggest any "San Francisco Bay Brand" frozen food. I use frozen brine shrimp and my betta goes crazy! I feed him frozen food once a week. I found mine from Petco but Petsmart sells some as well. For pellet food, i use "Tetra Bettamin small pellets" and "Omega One Betta Treat Bloodworms" so a good variety throughout the week.

The Nitrogen cycle is the very important process of building up Beneficial Bacteria that eats away the toxic ammonia waste your fish produce everyday. If your tank is not cycled, then ammonia , nitrite, and nitrate will buildup very quickly and kill all living fish/inverts in the tank. At this point you will have to do a Fish-In cycle , which I have no expericne with, only fishless cycling. I do know with fish-in cycling, youll have to do very frequent water changes every day or other day to keep you parameters stable for fish. Your betta will also be providing the ammonia waste to feed the BB that will then convert to nitrite then to nitrate. Do you know your water parameters? If not , buy the API freshwater testing kit to monitor your parameters weekly, test strips are a waste of money & dont test for ammonia. A fully cycled tank will show 0ppm Ammonia , 0ppm Nitrite and at least 10ppm Nitrate . You can read more about the Nitrogen cycle and the importance of it here ---> Nitrogen Cycle

It may be helpful to make another thread on "fish-in cycling" or use the search bar to look at previous threads about the topic.
The LFS ingot it from said there water was alkaline it was cleanof everything so it didn't need any additives. They never mentioned the cycle tho. I have a filter. Does that not suffice. Also I keep reading of vaccuming rocks during water changes?m and how much do indeed my betta of the frozen bloodworms. Doni defrost them first or just toss them in?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
never listen to pet store employees as they know nothing and just need a job half the time. Youre supposed to always cycle a tank a month or 2 before adding fish , if not , waste will build up and eat away at your betta or any fish. This is call "fin rot" and its very commom in bettas and caused from poor water quality. Do you know your water parameters? You need to know them so you know your water isn't toxic & going to kill your fish in a week
( very common in beginners)

During water changes, you should vacuum your substrate often, you dont have to everytime but bacteria from dead leaves, poop, and food waste does build up pretty fast so its good to vacuum the substrate or excess waste will cause an ammonia spike

Feed your bettas bloodworms once or twice a week, and no more than 3-4 worms. Make sure you pre soak any bloodworms or pellets. Frozen food doesnt need to be thawed or soaked, if soaked it will just fall apart and all the extra nutrients will dissolve away. you can just toss in very tiny pieces of frozen bits in, i use tweezers to pinch a piece and drop it in

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
never listen to pet store employees as they know nothing and just need a job half the time. you're supposed to always cycle a tank a month or 2 before adding fish , if not , waste will build up and eat away at your betta or any fish. This is call "fin rot" and its very commom in bettas and caused from poor water quality. Do you know your water parameters? You need to know them so you know your water isn't toxic & going to kill your fish in a week
( very common in beginners)

During water changes, you should vacuum your substrate often, you dont have to everytime but bacteria from dead leaves, poop, and food waste does build up pretty fast so its good to vacuum the substrate or excess waste will cause an ammonia spike

Feed your bettas bloodworms once or twice a week, and no more than 3-4 worms. Make sure you pre soak any bloodworms or pellets. Frozen food doesnt need to be thawed or soaked, if soaked it will just fall apart and all the extra nutrients will dissolve away. you can just toss in very tiny pieces of frozen bits in, i use tweezers to pinch a piece and drop it in
I'll try to find out the parameters but I went to a pretty reliable spot and they said they're water is ok to add a betta in right away..I asked if I needed any additives or anything and they said no. They get rid of all the harmful things and then said that's why they charge for it because it's prepared for any freshwater application and no need to wait a couple weeks. They also said the betta will be able to live and build the healthy bacteria my tank needs to add different fish later and switch my betta tona different tank. But I'm gonna check the parameters and get that kit tomorow. Because I agree some people seemed like they knew nothing. Also they said duckweed is illegal to buy where I live.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes its best to always know your water parameters, just about everyone on the forum use the API freshwater test kit as it test for all Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and ph. it also helps to know the parameters of your source water as well. The only additives youll need are a water conditioner for every WC and any medication or fertilizers when needed. If your tank was already cycled, then you wouldnt need any extra bacteria, or Ammonia/Nitrite detoxifiers. Since you didnt pre cycle your tank, it would be best to start using Prime water conditioner since youll have to do daily water changes. not sure about the duckweed being illegal but i know some fish/plants are illegal to buy for some reason in different states. you could always google to double check

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
yes its best to always know your water parameters, just about everyone on the forum use the API freshwater test kit as it test for all Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and ph. it also helps to know the parameters of your source water as well. The only additives youll need are a water conditioner for every WC and any medication or fertilizers when needed. If your tank was already cycled, then you wouldnt need any extra bacteria, or Ammonia/Nitrite detoxifiers. Since you didnt pre cycle your tank, it would be best to start using Prime water conditioner since youll have to do daily water changes. not sure about the duckweed being illegal but i know some fish/plants are illegal to buy for some reason in different states. you could always google to double check
You got me all stressed about the nitro cycle lol. Found a filter barrier video looks pretty simple to apply To my set up. What kinda filter do you use. I also have my heater placed right next to the intake of the filter

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
the nitrogen cycle is very important id say! i didnt know about it at all myself about 4 years ago ,but the more you read into it , the easier it is to understand and once your tank is fully cycled then youll have nothing else to worry about! The Nitrogen cycle is basically the process of growing tiny, tiny healthy bacteria that will eat away toxic waste any fish produce. Without any BB , the waste just sits in the tank and builds up becoming highly toxic to any living fish or invert. Brand new filters come clean and perfectly white, we dont want that, that shows there's no bacteria on it. Filters need to be brown and dirty, the dirt is the healthy Beneficial Bacteria. That why we cycle tanks for a good month beforehand, just tossing in a new filter with a fish won't help, there won't be any living bacterial present on the media to eat the fish waste before the water flows back in. Bettas are hardy though so you should be fine with doing a Fish-in cycle. I suggest making another thread yourself to get help from other who have done a fish-in cycle. Both fishless and fish-in involve different steps and i did fishless myself.

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello! Welcome to the forum and especially to the world of bettas! I am biased but bettas are the best!! The nitrogen cycle doesn’t have to be expensive or stressful. That said, I agree that you’ll need the API master liquid test kit. If you look on this great forum and search “nitrogen cycle” you can learn a lot!

It’s really good that you have your betta in a 10-gallon tank - a great start! A larger tank with the one fish should help ease the stress the nitrogen cycle will inevitably cause your fish. But he can survive it, and so can you!

Basically at this point I’d suggest daily small (20%, or 25% max) water changes until you get your API kit. If you can get ahold of some bottled beneficial bacteria (Tetra Safe Start and Nite Out are both great), add some after every water change to help build up your beneficial bacteria. It’s a waiting game and a testing game. Test your water daily and do water changes accordingly. Add at least a little bit of beneficial bacteria daily until your tank has cycled - a little too much won’t hurt as much as too little.

Try to stress your betta as little as possible til the tank cycles - I’d even recommend waiting on the lights until you’re all cycled.

Congrats on joining the fish world? What’s betta’s name?

Cheers,
Stacia

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's a big red whiteveil male. I was thinking of Paul bunion, flash or my daughter calls him "fishy" and I bought him for her

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Floating plants. You can pick up an amazon sword and let it float... they'll thank you!

OP
Jaykay1stBetta

Jaykay1stBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I planted my sword in the substrate didn't want the filter to suck it in

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online