First Time Baby Snail Mom

Discussion in 'Snails' started by ladyrivermouse, May 17, 2018.

1. ladyrivermouseValued MemberMember

I just came home from work and when I went to feed my mystery snails I noticed one of them has deposited its first clutch on the lid of the tank! I've never had a clutch in my tank before. Can I get a little advise on care or what to do next? 20180517_222527.jpg

2. Inno

InnoValued MemberMember

I pull mine off and incubate them. Some are fertile and hatch, while others do not. At the moment I have about 200 baby snails. I learned how to incubate them off of youtube. I watched a few videos and picked what I thought would work.

If you have a tight fitting lid on your tank, and get a lot of moisture you might not need to incubate them.

Good luck, they are easy to hatch don't sweat it!

3. Zoomo

ZoomoWell Known MemberMember

Congrats. Not that I want them, but wonder why mine don't make babies. I see them all the time mating, but never lay eggs. I have like water down like 2 inches from the top, so they have room. I feed them well. the water parameters are great and they get water changes once a week. They like to hang on the filters in the back of the tank. I suspect maybe because I do not have a lid on my tank?

4. OP
    OP
    l

ladyrivermouseValued MemberMember

It's possible that the lid is the problem, I know that for the clutches to incubate it has to be humid and that lid does help. I was told awhile ago that the gap in the water at the top of the tank should be double the size of the snail too. Mine decided to lay her eggs as high up as she possibly could - literally upside down on the lid of the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice