First time aquascaping

TetraKing101

Reaction score
This is my first time aquascaping I’m not sure how I should position my materials
IMG_1474.JPG

This is what I have to work with

Tips or inspiration would be helpful

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might get more feedback if you place them in your tank just randomly and post a picture.

OP
TetraKing101

TetraKing101

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
You might get more feedback if you place them in your tank just randomly and post a picture.
So just like try my best then post a pic for feedback

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like you have some good material to work with. Here's a rock & driftwood aquascape I've built. Hope it helps.
20200311_194651.jpg

OP
TetraKing101

TetraKing101

Reaction score
IMG_1477.JPG

I like the left side but I’m not sure about the right

I’m planning on having jungle Val in the back behind this

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only thing I could say is I find that everything seems to be leaning right to left which I felt made it look unnatural it may also just be the angle of the photo

OP
TetraKing101

TetraKing101

Reaction score
Littlebudda said:
Only thing I could say is I find that everything seems to be leaning right to left which I felt made it look unnatural it may also just be the angle of the photo
What should I do to counter act that all the rocks are leaving to the left but if I put the rock on the right to the right it just looks weird

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe when you get the plants in it might break it up a bit I just found that it really drew my eye to the leaning. I just find things like that hard to deal with, I have one tile in my bathroom that is not cut perfect, I struggle to go to the toilet in that bathroom because my eye is always drawn to it when I sit on the toilet and it just makes me frustrated.

As a landscaper I know that plants can change the whole look of a yard so maybe when you get the plants in it will be better.

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are a couple of suggestions to help with your leaning issue. Turn the rock in the middle to lean to the front or the right. Just physically rotate until the angle works for you. You can also balance the rock on the right on something to make it go straight up and down. The issue with stone is that it is not sheared straight. If you look at coral videos, they recut the stone to make it work better, but this is admittedly hard to do.

But as Littlebudda mentioned, plants will make everything look completely different.

Fishtine

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TetraKing101 said:
IMG_1477.JPG

I like the left side but I’m not sure about the right

I’m planning on having jungle Val in the back behind this
Just my opinion off the top of my head, but I do have degrees in both landscape and graphic design. ;) Swap the left two rocks, keeping their orientation and bringing the taller one to just left of center. On the right, bring the wood forward and rotate the furthest right piece 90 degrees counter-clockwise (left side moving forwards). Rotate the rock on the right about 50 degrees clockwise. That's where I would start, and then take another look.

OP
TetraKing101

TetraKing101

Reaction score
IMG_1479.JPG

This is what I did I changed it up

I also turned on my light

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What does the rock on the right look like on the other side?

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Note sure if you’ve seen MD fish tanks on YouTube, but he often talks about different types of hardscape formations for aqua scaling, recommend checking him out if you haven’t

OP
TetraKing101

TetraKing101

Reaction score
MoshJosh said:
Note sure if you’ve seen MD fish tanks on YouTube, but he often talks about different types of hardscape formations for aqua scaling, recommend checking him out if you haven’t
I have but I haven’t seen a lot of his videos I’ll check those out

nadsx84

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
.I am just about to start my own first aquascape. This was helpful to see! Thanks for sharing, would love to see how it progresses

KSo

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice hardscape, are you planning on adding established plants or growing from seed/bulb?

New Threads