First test results.. help?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by riptide904, Jan 4, 2013.

1. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I ran water tests for the first time today:

Goldfish Tank:
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-5

Tropical Tank:
    Ammonia- 0-0.25
    Nitrite- 0-0.25
    Nitrate- 20

pH on both was around 7.6

I'm a bit worried about the tropicals, will those levels be harmful to them? The tanks have been running for months. How can I lower them?

2. OP
    OP
    r

riptide904Valued MemberMember

I might add that last week every one of my ghost shrimps died in that tank, that's the reason I bought the kit in the first place, if it helps

3. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

4. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

your results are fine. the nitrates can be lowered by doing a 30% water change. ph is fine. it is more important that it is stable than what number it is.

5. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

Your goldfish tank looks cycled! :)

Your tropical tank is part way through cycling if you're seeing nitrites. These and ammonia are toxic to fish in any quantity and to get rid of them you want to do a water change, maybe 50%. Also try to keep the nitrates below 20ppm using water changes, this is why we do weekly water changes, to keep nitrates down as they accumulate over time :)

I've learned fish-in cycling can take a lot longer to cycle than fishless.

6. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Your goldfish tank (while it is too small for 2 goldfish) looks cycled. The other tank is not. High ammonia and nitrite levels can be bad for fish, so you'll want to get those down with water changes until the levels are 0.

7. OP
    OP
    r

I made the mistake of starting those tanks before I knew what cycling, but I would have thought the tropicals would have finished by now. I also did a 20% water change for them two days ago, that's why those levels confused me.

8. OP
    OP
    r

Also- I plan on buying a 20 gallon or larger for the goldies around March or so, how long might that take to cycle with the filter media from the current tank?

9. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

During a fish-in cycle the levels will continue to rise over night, sometimes very high if there's a lot of fish. So you need to do water changes daily to every 2 days at least. It's a little harder to fish-in cycle as I have learned myself, because you have to balance out ammonia for the bacteria while not poisoning the fish.

Edit: if you get another tank for the goldies and only plan to put more goldies in the new tank, you can definitely put the goldy filter media in the new tank to cycle. It could be as fast as an instant cycle, or take maybe 10 days or longer. But it won't take nearly as long as a regular cycle since you already have establish BB.
    Also, if you're not buying a whole kit I'd suggest picking up a nice size tank from petcos $1 a gallon sale right now, then getting the supplies ready when you can :) might save you some money.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    r

Wow, I didn't know they were doing that sale again. And to think, I was just considering an $80 tank! Is it only in stores? I don't see it on the website. I might move some molly fry to the old tank, they're in a really bad 1G right now and I know they'll need something bigger.

11. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Yes, it's only in stores :)

If you're going to get a larger tank for the goldies, I'd say get at least a 30 gallon. One goldfish needs a 20 gallon (30 gallon for comets/larger goldies), and for each additional you need another 10 gallons.

12. OP
    OP
    r

Yeah, I could afford a 30G. I'll drop by the store tomorrow and take a look, as well as doing a big water change for the tropicals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice