First tank with sand

1. Jahnikar Member Member

Well it's official, I'm taking the plunge into the world of sand! That 5 gallon has been tormenting me by sitting empty so I've decided to put it to work for me. Gonna make it a grow-out tank for my Endler fry. Bought some black sand at the LFS yesterday and am getting ready to start washing it now. Of course pics will soon follow ;) I'm just hoping the black sand turns out better than black gravel did. I'm concerned about the color leaching out but I just love the way black substrate looks. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

2. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Nope.
    LOL! I set up a 5 gallon with black sand the past Saturday. What a coincedence!

Just make sure to poke the sand with a chopstick. That destroys pockets of gas that build up in the sand.

3. tpasser2 Member Member

Cool congrats! I just added 2 bags of black and 2 bags of white sand (mixed) from Petco to my 10 gallon recently. The water became cloudy (more white than anything) for about a day but then it subsided.

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have a 2 5gal endler tanks with black sand. I have not had a problem. I have black gravel in 3 tanks, it hasn't lost it's color either though.

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Always use black sand, love it and never had problems. I like the Estes brand.

6. Jahnikar Member Member

Yay I'm glad black sand seems to be fairly issue-free. I'm loving the way it looks already! And as promised, a pic!

[​IMG]

7. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Niiicce. You gonna add any live plants?

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

looks good! I agree that you need to stir it up every now and then to prevent gas pockets. Or get a few trumpet snails or assassin snails.

9. Jahnikar Member Member

I think I'm gonna stick with fake plants for now in this one. I'll be adding a terra cotta pot to the tank today and then fire up the filter. Hoping I can get an instant cycle going with media from the endler tank. I definitely plan to get some trumpet snails very soon.

10. Jahnikar Member Member

As it sits now:

[​IMG]

Got 6 trumpet snails for 50 cents at the LFS earlier and that nifty white rock for $1. :D

At first I didn't think I'd like the look of the terra cotta pot but it actually all came together quite nicely. This is the first tank I've set up that I actually planned the aquascaping. Pretty proud of myself :)

11. Borisbbadd Guest

Looks nice !!!

12. Dan123 Member Member

May I just ask (sorry if this sounds stupid) why Trumpet or Assassin Snails would help prevent gas pockets?

13. taiwwa Member Member

LIve plants are awesome though. You get to watch them grow and clean your tank at the same time.

14. octonaut Member Member

They burrow into the substrate during the day, which stirs it up :)

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yup. trumpets burrow to hide and find food and assassins burrow to ambush food, like trumpets or ramshorn.

16. Butterflymommy68 Initiate Member

I also just set up a small nursery tank for my Black Balloon Belly fry (born in my 37 gal. tank. I used white sand which is a nice contrast for the black babies. I am very interested in the suggestion about using snails to help reduce gas pockets in the sand. I would like some suggestions as to what to feed my fry. I have been crumbling up flakes mixed with finely ground shrimp pellets.