First tank: Up and running! (Plant in Walstad tanks question)

cmid21

After months of research and some great information from individuals here on the forum I finally started my first aquarium yesterday. I am excited but cautiously optimistic.
Just some details:
~20 gallon (24x12x17)
Organic potting soil substrate (2-3inches) Black DIamond cap (1 inch)

Plants:
Anubias Nana (3)
Hydrocotyle Tripartita
Dwarf Nomaphila Siamensis (Hygrophila Corymbosa Compact)
Hygrophila Lancea 'Araguaia'
Amazon Sword
Sag Subulata (2)
Salvinia Natans (floating)
Christmas Moss

Lighting:
On between hours of 8-1, 4-9
Off between the hours of 1-4

I was originally scheduled to receive Ceratophyllum Demersum (hortwort) but unfortunately it was not available. PascalKrypt , JayH , you provided great education on the dutch/walstad method when I conducting research; so I very much would be interested in your opinion. (and anyone else!) My question to you is: Will I have enough plants/power growers to combat algae. (I know there is no definitive way to tell, but just in your estimation) I can probably track down some hornwort if you think it is needed. Hornwort was just going to be another power grower (I really don't like the look of it) so don't really want to get it if I don't need it. (Don't want it outcompeting my other plants that I actually like) There were several individual shoots included with each plant, so the tank looks fairly occupied. Thoughts?

As always: I appreciate your valued opinion, thank you for taking the time to read this!

cmid21

Update: Day two the tank water seems a little cloudy. (starting to get a greenish tint)

So I don't know if this is normal or I need to start adding more plants/adjust the lighting period. I would like to keep on top of the algae before it becomes a problem.

Water parameters:
PH 7.6
KH 4dKH 71.6 ppm
GH 9dGH 161.1ppm

NH3 .25ppm
NO2 .25ppm
NO3 0ppm

(water parameters from the tap)
PH 8.2
NH3 1ppm
NO2 0ppm

PascalKrypt

Sounds good! Good luck, it's very exciting to start isn't it?

Personally I would always include one (or more) of these four in my start-ups: Duckweed, Salvinia, Anacharis/Egeria or Hornwort. I see you have salvinia, though I'm guessing at the moment it isn't much?
They will really help you prevent algae in the first stages, as many other plants have a period of time where they need to adjust to their new surroundings before they start to grow, and it is this window when algae can set in and cause you trouble by stealing light and nutrients from the plants that are trying to start their growth after. If you don't like the looks of them, just use them for the first two weeks and then slowly reduce the amount you have until you've removed all of it.

9 hours a light is a bit on the high side, if you see green water you may want to turn it down a little to 7 or 8. Also make sure that the plants you do have cover a good amount of the tank. The list looks good but I can't see how much volume of plants that actually is. Do you have a picture of the tank?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
cmid21
Replies
Views
Tabbycat
  • Question
  • cmid21