First Tank Ideas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicholas pilgrim, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nicholas pilgrim

Nicholas pilgrim New Member Member

I'm new to the aquarium world and I would like ideas on what to put in (a easy to maintain) aquarium. The aquarium is 75 litres.

I would like a type of corydoras at the bottom of the tank.

Feedback is kindly appreciated.
    Thanks

Also a snail would be nice

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
  2. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

You have a 20 gallon aquarium, but if you want corys you need a 20 gallon LONG aquarium. Is yours 30" in length, or less?

3. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Inches or cm

4. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

omg so personally, i love emerald corys, they have a gorgeous iridescent coloring to them, but they get a little too big for your tank, so maybe pygmy corys?

5. DylanM

Inches, does " also mean cm? I'm not being rhetorical btw.

6. Heavy Metal Lion

that was inches. is your tank long and shallow or more standard rectangular shaped?

7. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Of sorry for some reason I wrote 75 instead of 130

8. Heavy Metal Lion

ahh okay so you have a 30+ gal. so you can go all out with your corys

so you're basically working with the minimum tank size for corys. is there a type that you like?

9. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

What fish can I put with corydoras
    And what is a good type of corydoras

No not really

10. DylanM

In the time that I wrote this chee.. I mean Heavy Metal Lion.. responded like 3 times. Idk why, but this made me want to rush through this. If I missed any important info please let me know
    Okay, so in a 35 gallon tank you can get pretty much any cory you want. Here is some basic info on their care and other stuff:
    - They can survive in aquariums with gravel or dirt, but they truly thrive in aquariums with sand bottoms
    - Since they are bottom dwellers, the amount that you can keep is limited more by surface area of the base of your tank than gallons
    - They need a food source to survive other than the waste and left over food on the bottom of your tank, such as algae pellets or fresh veggies
    - They are social schooling fish, they generally should only be kept in groups of 6 or more

Here is a list of the most popular corys and how many you can get if you dont keep any other bottom dwellers:
    Pygmy Cory - tiny - 30 max
    Panda Cory - small - 16 max
    Peppered Cory - medium - 12 max
    Julii Cory - medium - 10 max
    False Julii Cory - medium - 10 max
    Sterbai cory - large - 8 max
    Emerald cory - large - 6 max

These numbers are my opinion, and are flexible to a degree. Just don't do anything like buy 15 emerald corys or 50 pygmys and you should be fine

11. Heavy Metal Lion

as far as i know, they're all good. panda corys are really popular, and so are sterba corydoras. they are a peaceful fish, so most fish are fine with them. maybe a type of tetras or rasabaras

well my replies were gibberish, and yours was very insightful .

12. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

I might get panda caries
    What are some easy but cool fish that I can put with them
    Also any recommendations for snails

13. Heavy Metal Lion

Nerite Snails. they have different variations, like tiger or zebra. their shells are really neat looking.
    are you wanting schooling fish or different types of fish?

mollys or fancy guppies or a type of tetra or platys even

14. DylanM

Some great, easy to keep for beginner schooling fish that you could keep with corys in a 35 gallon are:
    Rasboras:
    - harlequin
    - scissortail
    Danios:
    - zebra
    - long-finned zebra
    - celestial pearl
    - glowlight
    Tetras are a schooling fish that are a bit harder to keep, but only because they require a strongly cycled tank with very stable water parameters, and they can nip at other fish if they are not comfortable in a tank. But the reward is they are extremely active and often very colorful.
    Tetras:
    - Neon
    - Cardinal
    - Black Neon
    - Glowlight
    - Green Neon
    - Rummynose
    - Ember (my favorite)

Now for centerpiece fish, these are generally the largest in a tank, and are the "centerpiece" of the aquarium.

Gouramis:
    - Dwarf (very small, and you can generally only keep 1 male in a tank at a time)
    - Honey (can keep multiple)
    - Pearl (My favorite, I have one in my community tank right now with zebra danios, can keep 2 in a 35 gallon tank)
    - Sparkling (can keep multiple, they will "croak" at each other)
    Angelfish:
    I am not well versed with angelfish, as I have never kept any, but I believe that they are good with most cory cat species. BUT, in order to keep them in community aquariums the tank must have plenty of hiding spaces, wether that comes from artificial or, preferably, real plants. If the tank is not well planted with many hiding spots the other fish will probably face aggression from the angelfish. You could only keep one in the 35 gallon tank, as it is pretty much the minimum tank size for any angelfish. Some pretty species of angelfish are:
    - Koi
    - Marble
    - Smokey leopard

Edit: as mentioned, you can keep mollies or guppies, but personally I have always preferred schooling fish and centerpiece fish to be separate things in a community tank. Molly's and guppies are kind of like a mix of a schooling and a centerpiece fish. They are larger, colorful, and you can't keep a ton of them, but you can keep multiple in a 35 gallon tank.

Hope this helps you!

15. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

16. Heavy Metal Lion

clearly, one of us knows what they're talking about and they other one is just winging it ahaha

17. DylanM

Nah, I completely forgot about mollies, guppies, and platys. When he asked for other fish my mind drifted to the classic "community tank" setup, with a bottom feeder, a schooling fish, and a centerpiece fish.

18. OP
    OP
    Nicholas pilgrim

Is there a chance of being able to put a mini school of fish and then a couple of odd balls

19. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I would stay away from peppered and emerald cories. They both get huge. I had both in my tank which is very close to your size and I had to get rid of them, I'll be restocking with panda cories. Also, they are primarily carnivorous so they should only occasionally be fed algae wafers or veggie wafers occasionally, it at all. Feed them shrimp pellets/wafers, bottom feeder wafers (Hikari sinking wafers are awesome) supplemented with frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.

Also, a lot of fish mentioned are livebearers and breed a lot, so if you're not wanting to deal with fry then many of the suggestions wouldn't be recommended. Once you go through the suggestions and get a pretty solid idea of what you'd like to keep, I would recommend posting a new thread on the stocking forum and you'll get lots of input regarding numbers and whether there's incompatibilities. Usually incompatibilities are due to size, aggression, and temperature.

As a correction, dwarf gouramis are actually the second largest. Smaller than pearl but larger than honey and sparkling.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  20. DylanM

A few things... Peppered cories do not get "huge". Emerald cories can reach 3 1/2" which could be considered large for corydoras, but peppered cories don't grow past 2 1/2". But thanks for pointing out they should be fed normal sinking food pellets and not algae pellets. I've kept corys before but for some reason I basically said to feed them the same way you would feed shrimp, I'm stupid :p.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice