First tank, fishless cycle complete....I think

1. itsayes Member Member

Hello all,

Newb here. I'm on day 30 of my fishless cycle and I think I'm fully cycled!

I did a ton of research prior to starting and I'm already hooked on the hobby and don't even have a single fish.

I started with Dr. Tim's One and Only along with their ammonium chloride. Nitrites would not come down from ~ 5ppm until today!

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = 10-20

I will dose the next 2 days with ammonia and make sure numbers go back to 0...then on to fish!

It's a 46 gallon bowfront tank. Artificial plants and aquarium gravel. Fluval 306 filter, 150W heater.

It will be a community tank and I need some stocking advice/opinions.

My eye is drawn to the following:

Rasboras
    Tetras
    Danios
    Cory's
    Rams
    Rainbows
    Barbs (cherry or Ruby if compatible)
    Gourami (or another centerpiece fish)
    Possible neon tetras or a nice schooling fish

Everybody seems to have given me differing opinions on compatibility. After months of just lurking, I'm here for help.

Thanks in advance!

Jared

2. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Could do a huge group of rasboras or another shoaling or non shoaling fishes. A DG would be cool with some emerald corys. Rams need a higher temp so some species are limited. I think TexasDomer dxould help with temp compatibility :) Aquaphobia

3. bus927 Member Member

Well Corys don't go well with an aquarium gravel because the barbs on their noses are sensitive. Banded gouramis are very cool and colorful fish !

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I use gravel and my corys are fine. Their whiskers are long and not cut. :) What kind of gravel do u have? I use eco complete gravel

5. itsayes Member Member

Got the gravel from petsmart. It's top fin premium. Thanks for the Cory input.

I'm also contemplating platys or guppies. Don't love the idea of livebearers tho. Can you keep all males?

Pretty open to type of fish right now, so throw out any ideas for a 46g combo.

6. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Yes you can keep all males or all females. How about sword tails? Serpae tetras?

7. mcronix Member Member

Hi there.
    I'm at a similar stage to you... new 40 gallon tank, nitrites reached 0 for first time today, the only difference is I have live plants.

I plan to have a decent shoal of neon tetras, 12 or so.
    Corys (I have a sand substrate fyi)
    A pearl Gourami
    Couple of clown plecos or similar wood eating species (I have lots of driftwood)
    Possibly some shrimp, such as amano.

I really like the look of a large school of bright shoaling fish with a centrepiece and have been told pearl gouramis will be a good fit and a great looking fish! Hope this helps.

8. bigCEE Initiate Member

Congrats Jared although I must say that I'm surprised that your tank took that long to cycle. I used Dr.Tim's for my new 30 gallon cube and my cycle only took 9 days!

9. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

My cycle for my 50 gal took over a month...lol I wanted to be safe than sorry

10. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Be aware neons tend to be cooler water fish compared to many others, so some people use Cardinal tetras instead. You can keep all male live bearers. What look do you like... Huge school? Lots of variety?

11. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Lots of color? All a even color? Maybe a few small schools of tetras?

12. itsayes Member Member

Thanks bigCEE.

I was surprised as well. Their customer support said I dosed too much ammonia so it stalled (although I thought I followed directions to a T)

13. itsayes Member Member

Leaning towards variety. Definitely want large enough school for each species to be comfortable.

14. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Oh rummy rose tetras look amazing in a school!!!!

15. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

TexasDomer had some good general guideline at one point, but I can't recall the details...
    1 school bottom dwellers
    2 mid level schools
    1 centerpiece fish
    ??
    She will have to help.

16. itsayes Member Member

So quick question...
    Dosed ammonia back to 2ppm last night.

Now readings 24 hours later are:

Ammonia: 0.5ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm

Is it OK that ammonia is not back to 0 yet? And do I dose again tomorrow?

Reminder I'm doing fishless cycle

17. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I think you should add 1 fish and see how it reads after a week or so. You don't want to overwhelm your beneficial bacteria then ur tank will crash