First tank, feeling creative.

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Fishyboy05, Nov 30, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

I was wondering, if I can use tree branches and rocks from my yard in my tank? I have sillicone(100% aquarium safe). I was thinking it'd look really cool if I had stacks of rocks and other foramations and such around the aquarium. I also was wondering if I could use branches? But I also want to make a few slate caves! Thanks!!

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would only use dead, dry wood from a hardwood tree, no resinous trees like pine or cedar. Its always good imo to keep in mind what the materials may have been exposed to, someone may have sprayed roundup for example on/near the rocks and I wouldn't want that in my tank.

3. w

w_boughner Valued Member Member

Absolutely yes !!!! But you need to steralize them before adding to the water and aslong as the branches are not fresh(no sap) ... The rocks I personally use boiling water when the rocks will fit for 5 min or put them in the oven at 300 for 20-30 minutes to ensure good penetration of heat and the wood soak in water for a couple days to well saturate then put in your oven at 300 for 30+ minutes the bigger the wod the longer you leave it in ..... I did my stump for 4 hrs

Good point about the pestisides I've always used rocks and wood from local rivers and ponds .... Have any creeks or rivers around you ???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  4. OP
    OP
    F

So I think I'll only use rocks, and I'll make sure to boil em!

5. Matt B

Personally, I don't boil or put rocks in an oven. Exp[osing them to high temperatures can cause them to explode due to trapped moisture/air pockets in them, not that it would happen every time or even frequently. All the same, I just don't do it.

I typically scrub them with a stiff bristle brush and soak them for several weeks in a bucket, changing the water every couple days or so. I also use this oppourtunity to test the bucket water to see if the rocks will alter my aquariums chemistry, ph in particular.

6. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks, I'll put em in while cycling so ill be able to tell if anything goes ring

7. OP
    OP
    F

And what've temp water? Can i just put 20 rocks in a bucket?

8. Matt B

I just use hose water and how ever many rocks I can fit in the bucket.

9. OP
    OP
    F

Then let it sit for a few weeks? Would they be good?

10. Matt B

I let them sit for a few weeks, changing the water every couple of days. Its also a good idea to scrub them with a stiff bristle brush, this does two things, get rid of crud and also if the rock sloughs off or disintegrates while scrubbing its no good. I also test the bucket water ph to be sure I'm not putting rocks in my tanks that will alter the chemistry. I've never had a problem preparing my rocks this way.

11. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks! And can intake them right from my yard!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice