First tank, 29 gallons

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but i am looking to get into the hobby and have purchased and have a 29 gallon tank cycling currently. Im looking to do some form of community tank and would like to know of any unique/interesting ideas or general suggestions for my first tank. Thanks in advance!

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
Yeah, my water appears to have a pH of 8. From what I can tell so far, this is certainly less than ideal. Only things suggested for that high are some african cichlids and im unsure if those are too big/complex for my first time smallish tank. I like the look of the gouramis and the tetras though, thanks for the suggestion! (Especially the gouramis, such a pretty color)

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most fish should adjust to pH, don't mess with your pH. You said you were cycling, not sure what you have in mind for your 29 gallon but I strongly suggest to add live plants. They are great for your fish and your tank will look great. I say this because it is much easier to setup your substrate without fish in the tank to start. You don't need anything complicated, jungle val, anubias, java fern, amazon swords all easy to keep with basic lighting. As far as fish go...can't go wrong with neon tetra, they are the most popular fresh water fish for a reason. I have a 29g myself and probably always will. I have a couple Ranchu Fancy goldfish in mine. Goodluck

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
a warm welcome to Fishlore!
amazing that your are getting into the hobby although after a while it becomes quite addictive :rolleyes:lol.
I definitely recommend adding live plants to your tank, it makes it look so beautiful and help with breaking down waste foods and preventing algae. a very easy one to grow is ambulia that looks lovely, grows extremely fast and doesn't require co2 injections. also putting in some driftwood is a very nice add to a tank.
for stocking, personally I a would get a school of 6-8 tetras (I don't know what tetras you are looking at)
and one or two centrepiece fish like gouramis, rams or even a angelfish.
and a small pleco or loach for a bottom dweller.
good luck for your tank!!

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have had a 29 gallon setup for over two years now. I read everybody saying to start with neon tetras but there you can go wrong because I did. Neon tetras are notoriously over bred, causing all kinds of problems. I went through twenty of these before giving up. I bought ten at a time, and within a few days half where dead. The rest brought in parasites the I had not seen before in my tank, ick being the worse. Doses of meds to get rid of the stuff doesn't help matters either.
Instead try the black neon tetra, or some other species of tetra, black skirt tetra etc.

Go for the honey gourami and only this one, stay away for the dwarf gourami because again your asking for problems. Even while the two are the same size they are not the same species of gourami.

The bronze or albino cory etc, yes never had any problems there.

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
andy305mia said:
Most fish should adjust to pH, don't mess with your pH. You said you were cycling, not sure what you have in mind for your 29 gallon but I strongly suggest to add live plants. They are great for your fish and your tank will look great. I say this because it is much easier to setup your substrate without fish in the tank to start. You don't need anything complicated, jungle val, anubias, java fern, amazon swords all easy to keep with basic lighting. As far as fish go...can't go wrong with neon tetra, they are the most popular fresh water fish for a reason. I have a 29g myself and probably always will. I have a couple Ranchu Fancy goldfish in mine. Goodluck
Thank you! I was definitely planning to do java anubias and swords and made sure to get at least a decent light so those are something i can do easily. Do i need to buy some sort of plant nutrient of fertilizer?

blennylover2323 said:
a warm welcome to Fishlore!
amazing that your are getting into the hobby although after a while it becomes quite addictive :rolleyes:lol.
I definitely recommend adding live plants to your tank, it makes it look so beautiful and help with breaking down waste foods and preventing algae. a very easy one to grow is ambulia that looks lovely, grows extremely fast and doesn't require co2 injections. also putting in some driftwood is a very nice add to a tank.
for stocking, personally I a would get a school of 6-8 tetras (I don't know what tetras you are looking at)
and one or two centrepiece fish like gouramis, rams or even a angelfish.
and a small pleco or loach for a bottom dweller.
good luck for your tank!!
Thanks! I was somewhat thinking about getting a single BN pleco to go along with the cories on the bottom, and considering Bolivian Rams (2) as an alternative to a honey gourami while staying with pretty basic starter fish.

Utar said:
I have had a 29 gallon setup for over two years now. I read everybody saying to start with neon tetras but there you can go wrong because I did. Neon tetras are notoriously over bred, causing all kinds of problems. I went through twenty of these before giving up. I bought ten at a time, and within a few days half where dead. The rest brought in parasites the I had not seen before in my tank, ick being the worse. Doses of meds to get rid of the stuff doesn't help matters either.
Instead try the black neon tetra, or some other species of tetra, black skirt tetra etc.

Go for the honey gourami and only this one, stay away for the dwarf gourami because again your asking for problems. Even while the two are the same size they are not the same species of gourami.

Awesome. How are black phantom tetras as an alternative to the neons? They seem pretty cool and a little bigger than the neons as well.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't suggest rams, they can be very difficult to care. If you do get them don't buy them from petsmart or petco if you can, try getting them from a local breeder, the ones from petsmart are usually from asia and they put hormones in the rams, so when you get them they are more prone to disease.

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
andy305mia said:
1 Angelfish 2 German Blue Rams and 7-10 cardinal tetra 4-5 sterbai cory would be amazing imo! They are all temp compatible a little on the sensitive side but stay up on your water changes keep temps stable and feed variety of foods and you're good to go. Let us know what you decided
Awesome! Angelfish seem super pretty and i like the idea of having those and some smaller centerpiece. Would electric blue Rams or Bolivian Rams be substituted without much difference. (I like the coloring on those a bit more)

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Utar said:

Don't get me started on Neons lol. I have lost more than I have kept, but my survivors have been great. It all depends on the batch you get them from, acclimation. They do not like change i know this for sure like tank to tank is a huge risk. I think they stress out and die. A school of Honey Gourami would work in a 29, cool little fish

bigdaddy27173727 said:
Awesome! Angelfish seem super pretty and i like the idea of having those and some smaller centerpiece. Would electric blue Rams or Bolivian Rams be substituted without much difference. (I like the coloring on those a bit more)
Bolivian Rams are hardier from what I understand, and they can be kept in cooler temps than German rams like 74-78 look into it. Angelfish prefer warmer water but it can work. You can do Electric Blue rams I think they have the same requirements as gbr, if so....keep the temps above 80 degrees at least. Rummynose tetra would work as well although 3ft would be better, super cool fish and tightest schooling fish. I had this exact setup, except rummynose and no cardinals (hard to find locally) kept my tank at around 82-83 degrees!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Again, I suggest against rams for begginners. (If you do put them in a month after all the other fish.)

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Again, I suggest against rams for begginners. (If you do put them in a month after all the other fish.)
Okay, i will keep that in mind and possibly go with gouramis with the angelfish as opposed to rams if there isn't any issues with that. Thanks for the warning.

andy305mia said:
Bolivian Rams are hardier from what I understand, and they can be kept in cooler temps than German rams like 74-78 look into it. Angelfish prefer warmer water but it can work. You can do Electric Blue rams I think they have the same requirements as gbr, if so....keep the temps above 80 degrees at least. Rummynose tetra would work as well although 3ft would be better, super cool fish and tightest schooling fish. I had this exact setup, except rummynose and no cardinals (hard to find locally) kept my tank at around 82-83 degrees!
Okay, ill look into the rummynose and i think if i decide 2 Rams and angelfish i will do bolivians.

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes Rams are NOT a beginner fish like SouthAmericanCichilds says. Your odds of success will improve dramatically in a well established tank

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
andy305mia said:
Yes Rams are NOT a beginner fish like SouthAmericanCichilds says. Your odds of success will improve dramatically in a well established tank
Alright, are honey gouramis safe to put with an angelfish instead of the Rams?

And what makes the Rams difficult for beginners?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, they are very restrictive for ph, (All but bolivian) need very warm water, they are very prone to disease from big box stores, they need not just an established tank, but a tank that has been cycled and set up for months afterward.

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Well, they are very restrictive for ph, (All but bolivian) need very warm water, they are very prone to disease from big box stores, they need not just an established tank, but a tank that has been cycled and set up for months afterward.
Good to know. Thanks again for the warning. Ill stick to gouramis or something

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
bigdaddy27173727 said:
Alright, are honey gouramis safe to put with an angelfish instead of the Rams?

And what makes the Rams difficult for beginners?
I would not put an angelfish in a 29.

Way too small.

Bolivian rams are a good place to start, they are a very beginner-friendly cichlid unlike GBR.

OP
B

bigdaddy27173727

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
I would not put an angelfish in a 29.

Way too small.

Bolivian rams are a good place to start, they are a very beginner-friendly cichlid unlike GBR.
Interesting. Ive seen stuff saying angels are fine in even just a 20 tall. But i will need your warning. Getting mixed messages on the Bolivian Rams though, are they okay for beginners or not?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bigdaddy27173727 said:
Interesting. Ive seen stuff saying angels are fine in even just a 20 tall. But i will need your warning. Getting mixed messages on the Bolivian Rams though, are they okay for beginners or not?
Personally, I would do:
2 honey gouramis
7 cardinal tetras
5-6 Panda cories
EDIT: I chose panda cories because there was a lot of discussion about rams and i think that they look sorta like rams.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom