Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
May 11th, 2010...
It was Tuesday, and I had just gotten home from a hard day at school. County exams, shew... I was beat. I walk into my room and throw my binder onto the floor, spilling it's contents onto a dirty carpet littered with clothes I had previously worn and "lost" on my way to the hamper.

As I approached my tank I noticed all the fish swimming to the top as they always do when I walk into the room. I knew what they wanted, but it wasn't time for that yet. As I sat on my bed and peered into the tank I noticed my female Black Molly was fat, and boxy. I thought, "That fish is 'bout to blow!" So I took out the breeding trap I had bought a few weeks ago and blew the dust off. Then placed it into the tank and perused the fish with my net, wrecking my tank as I always do. I knew I shouldn't have gotten the 5" net...

Once I caught the fish I placed it in the breeding trap and tossed the net in some random direction behind me, being the sloppy person I am. I sat down once again and watched Stella try to fight her way through the plastic wall of the trap and get back into the tank. Elvis swam up and tried to swim through to Stella, before Einstein chased him off.
"Takes care of that" I thought, then rested my head on my pillow and stared out the window, pondering how miserable I would be at work tomorrow after doing more County exams, then dosed off.

I awoke nearly two hours later as the bright orange light began to shine into my eyes through the blinds. My head ached and I felt dizzy. I looked up at my tank and noticed something squiggling around in the bottom of the breeding trap. Not thinking anything of it, I put my head back down and watched the fan spin. Then, suddenly taking in what I saw, I sat up quickly and peered once more into the breeding trap.
Stella swam in circles, exhausted, and 24 little fish wiggled in place at the bottom of the trap. At this point I was pretty freaked out, and did the first thing I could think of. Called my sisters in to see.

They were astonished by what had happened, and were adored by the little fry. I took Stella out and returned her to the main tank after watching for a few minutes to make sure she wasn't still giving birth, then removed the mesh plate that separates the mother from the fry.

DSC01357.JPG

After removing the mother.

DSC01364.JPG

DSC01358.JPG

DSC01363.JPG

28 items were birthed out, three being underdeveloped fry who were still wrapped up in a ball, but breathing, one was dead, and one was an unused egg.
Eventually, the three underdeveloped fry came out and were free swimming.

I was surprised yet proud that I had made myself spend the money on the trap, it was not in vein. Pondering what to do, I opened my bag of Hikari First Bites I had gotten months ago when I was planning on Platy fry, but never got, and put some in. The fish watched it float down, and paid no heed. In confusion, I hit FishLore up for some answers. As always, my friends were very helpful and gave me the info I needed. However, there were some things I learned I had to ride out to gain.

May 12, 2010...
After a while, I decided to move them from the breeding trap in the 20 gallon tank to the 2.5 gallon tank. I took it outside and washed out the sand and rocks. I had decided to go bare tank for this one...A very wise choice.
I took the filter media from the cycled 10 gallon filter I had on before, and placed it under the 3 gallon filter that came with the 2.5 g tank. Air bubbles pushed water up through the neck of the filter and forced the water through filter media and into a small out-pour back into the tank.
"The fry could easily be sucked into that thing." I remember thinking, so I placed the filter intake on the bottom of the neck on top of the Penguin media and sponge from the 10 g filter.
"That'll do it." I said with pleasure, then left for school to let the tank run.

May 13, 2010...
After a day, a night, another day of school and a tiring shift of work and confusion; still no eating...
I drove out to visit my pals at the ol' LFS, and came home happily with a vial of dehydrated brine shrimp eggs, and a new air pump. Using the goofy contraption I had made out of a 2 liter Pepsi bottle and a flower vase, I had begun to prepare my brine shrimp.

(pictures taken this morning)
217.jpg

218.jpg

Everybody who comes into my room and sees the bottle bubbling thinks I'm running a meth lab now...Great. Try explaining that one to your 86 year old step grandfather...Who is a preacher.

Finally, I got tired of watching the other fish snap at the fry through the plastic walls of the breeding trap, and decided to move them to the newly established, less stressful 2.5 g fry tank. The moment they were in, they immediately began to love all the room, and the lack of cannibalistic giants, and proceeded to hide under the filter media...

(pictures taken this morning)
219.jpg

220.jpg

221.jpg

After 24 hours, I checked my shrimp. To my astonishment, quite a lot had hatched already. My initial expectation was to have to wait two days to begin seeing anything. I was pleasantly surprised, and my fish received their first meal of fresh, baby Brine Shrimp. I was pleased to see them suck the shrimp down like tiny, swimming shrimp vacuums. I was very pleased, and proud of myself.

May 15, 2010...
The fry are happy, and healthy. Actively swimming around the tank rather than hiding under the media. By this point, they have gotten use to their feeding habits. Three feedings of live brine shrimp a day. They have even gotten use to how I feed them.
First, I dip a mason jar into the top and collect a little bit of water at the bottom, then proceed to unplug the air pump so that the shrimp can settle at the bottom of the hatchery. Then, because I'm so cheap and don't have a syringe or a turkey baster to suck out brine shrimp, I undo the air hose from the check valve and let gravity push shrimp out the end of the hose and into the jar of water. Then I proceed to pour as much brine shrimp into the tank as needed, then return the excess back to the hatchery and return the air pump to it's job.

They are healthy, and happy at this point, and I've only suffered 3 casualties...and that was the first day!

I will update this thread as things go on, and I have things to report.
Thank you for reading!

Other pics:

Notice their full bellies from all the brine shrimp I've been feeding them.
They sure are awesome!
222.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

(video made by me, May 11th)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6FZqn6ji8

Attachments

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i love the brine shrimp hatchery. I started a batch yesterday afternoon myself to try to help coax a few fish into breeding. Are they taking the hikari first bites yet? I've read that some fish have an issue if they are fed solely on bbs but I can't confirm if its true, i have fed bbs exclusively to several spawns for the first few days with no ill effects.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the new fry! Good job on the Brine shrimp hatcherytoo,
Molly fry progress on to crumbled flakes pretty fast.
carol

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! Okay, so I did feed them first bites this morning. I put it in a jar of water the same as the brines and they gobbled it all up.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The brine shrimp hatchery looks great Benjamin. Congratulations on the fry. Would love to see some more pictures.

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're doing a super job with your fish! Be sure to keep the water in the grow-out tank fresh and clean. You can use a piece of air-line tubing to vacuum the bare bottom of the tank and remove about 10% of the water daily.

With live food & excellent water quality, they will grow like weeds!

Dennis

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't realize Molly fry were so big at birth.
Congrats on your babies. I agree great hatchery, my mind cann't graps how it's done, but great job! lol

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you all! Danionins, what you say is basically my exact routine. Great minds think alike!

The fry are doing soooo good! They are healthy, and active, and eat very well. It's been a pleasure raising these little fish up, but it's not over. My dalmatian molly, Pluto, is getting boxy!

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, sorry, I've just kinda' let fishlore go for a while, been real busy with a new job and all this new stuff going on in my life. I moved them to a 10 gallon for a while, then to the 20 gallon when I got my 55 gallon for my regular fish to go in.
They are doing very very well, it's been about three months, and most of them are bigger than an inch, and are showing their genders.

A few others have joined them as well. A few dalmatian molly fry, who are equally as mature, an a ton of red wag platy fry, mostly young, but one who is as old as the mollies. In addition, I've got the breeder trap in there holding about 7 red tailed black variatus platy fry.

Everybody is doing amazingly... I think since I started, I've only had about 10 deaths! :O
Some body call the Guiness Book of World Records!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom