First shrimp in shrimp bowl!!

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys, got that first shrimp for my shrimp bowl today. Its been quite timid until now and he (or she?) Is exploring a bit now.

Pics:

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks ClearEyes! Yeah its an RCS, I could have got some ghosties but I found out they aren't very compatible so I didn't get them

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah no filter or heater required! Only a fairly strong light that I leave on for 7 hours so the plants can produce enough 02 for the shrimp to use and when lights are out they produce enough CO2 to allow them to photosynthesise in the day.

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! They're really easy to make and once theyve grown in a bit it looks really nice. My bowl is almost exclusively mosses as they're so easy to grow however I've two small plants in there as well. All you need to make one is fast growing plants and a decent light. I must admit its probably my favourite 'tank' as its so easy to create and maintain.

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The shrimp question is a bit difficult. If they're from.the same species but a different colour varient you could keep them together however they'd cross breed and lose the colour that you paid more for (e.g. you can't put blue rilis together and RCS) but you can put RCS and bee shrimp together. As for WCs I only do top ups and a WC every week or two because if you do them too often then algae can grow too much because there's different levels of co2 in the bowl water than in the tap water.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't know, the idea of plants sound...... scary lol! I guess I'm just worried I'll kill the plants or something. :/ And what I meant by using different types of shrimp is that can I do something other than the RCS?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Start off with easy low light plants, very easy to take care of and hard to kill. Fish guy is correct, if you add different color of shrimp they will crossbreed and you will have brown baby shrimp lol. You can do other shrimp too

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh sorry didn't know what you meant. Yes you can pit different shrimp in one but some are far, far, far more difficult to care for. And plants aren't hard to keep, you have to stick to a good lighting schedule so you don't get too much algae. Also in this type of tank use basically only mosses and stuff like that.

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It doesn't matter really but done out it by a window as algae will grow.
Good plants are:
Java moss
Riccia moss
Anubias Nana
Marino moss balls

There's more but those plants look nice and a re easy to care for

OP
fishguy122

fishguy122

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha no problem. Its definitely a fun thing to do.

New Threads