First shrimp in shrimp bowl!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by fishguy122, Jul 18, 2015.

1. fishguy122

fishguy122 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys, got that first shrimp for my shrimp bowl today. Its been quite timid until now and he (or she?) Is exploring a bit now.

Pics:

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That's a cool bowl! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Nice! RCS? I wish I could have RCS, but I pulled the trigger on Ghosts because they were so cheap, but they're not compatible.

5. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks ClearEyes! Yeah its an RCS, I could have got some ghosties but I found out they aren't very compatible so I didn't get them

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That's a beautiful tank! Er.... bowl. lol
    Nice shrimp!

7. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks Anders! I keep on calling it my 'shrimp tank'as well lol :D

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Lookin' goooooood!!! :D No filter or heater required?

9. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Yeah no filter or heater required! Only a fairly strong light that I leave on for 7 hours so the plants can produce enough 02 for the shrimp to use and when lights are out they produce enough CO2 to allow them to photosynthesise in the day.

10. BornThisWayBettas

So awesome! I wonder if my mom would like a shrimp bowl, I think it would look nice! :D I love yours!

11. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Thanks! They're really easy to make and once theyve grown in a bit it looks really nice. My bowl is almost exclusively mosses as they're so easy to grow however I've two small plants in there as well. All you need to make one is fast growing plants and a decent light. I must admit its probably my favourite 'tank' as its so easy to create and maintain.

12. BornThisWayBettas

It does look easy! Can you use different types of shrimp? How often do you have to do water changes?

13. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

The shrimp question is a bit difficult. If they're from.the same species but a different colour varient you could keep them together however they'd cross breed and lose the colour that you paid more for (e.g. you can't put blue rilis together and RCS) but you can put RCS and bee shrimp together. As for WCs I only do top ups and a WC every week or two because if you do them too often then algae can grow too much because there's different levels of co2 in the bowl water than in the tap water.

14. BornThisWayBettas

I don't know, the idea of plants sound...... scary lol! I guess I'm just worried I'll kill the plants or something. :/ And what I meant by using different types of shrimp is that can I do something other than the RCS?

15. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Start off with easy low light plants, very easy to take care of and hard to kill. Fish guy is correct, if you add different color of shrimp they will crossbreed and you will have brown baby shrimp lol. You can do other shrimp too

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Oh sorry didn't know what you meant. Yes you can pit different shrimp in one but some are far, far, far more difficult to care for. And plants aren't hard to keep, you have to stick to a good lighting schedule so you don't get too much algae. Also in this type of tank use basically only mosses and stuff like that.

17. BornThisWayBettas

So...... marimo moss balls? And does it matter where you put the bowl in the house? If my mom doesn't want to do this idea, I wonder if my friend would like it...... or me, lol. :p

18. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

It doesn't matter really but done out it by a window as algae will grow.
    Good plants are:
    Java moss
    Riccia moss
    Anubias Nana
    Marino moss balls

There's more but those plants look nice and a re easy to care for

19. BornThisWayBettas

Awesome, thanks! Now, I wonder if I can talk someone into doing this with me or something lol! Thank you sooooo much!!! :D

20. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Haha no problem. Its definitely a fun thing to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice