First Semi-Aggressive Tank. Stocking Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TVAL, Nov 30, 2012.

1. TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

Hi!
    I have been stalking fishlore for a couple of months now, and I finally decided to join!

I am currently in the process of cycling my 25 gallon tank.
    20121129_235728.jpg
    I am trying to plan what fish I want, and I can't even come close to deciding...
    Any suggestions on a few to start with, and which ones I can add a little later so the bioload doesn't get all crazy on me?
    I want a black ghost knife fish, but I'm pretty sure that it would get too big for this tank. :(
    I'm open to anything and I would love to see pictures of your fishies too!

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

FAR too big, you are correct.
    25 doesn't seem to be a common size. Are you sure?

3. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

Yeah! I know it is an off size. It is a 25 high tank. It was the only one that size in the store. All inclusive starter kit that is made by Aqueon. It was that or a wider 30 gallon and this one fits much better in my apartment.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and SantaWelcome.gif to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

It's this tank!
    Don't worry, I don't buy fish from them.
    Except my female betta. I had to save her. She was so sad in her cup. :( She's much happier now in my community tank.

6. Eienna

You noted semi-aggressve in the title, but generally I'd put such fish in a bigger Long tank, to give them more room to move away or establish their 'space.' Are you opposed to a peaceful set-up?

7. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

I'm not opposed to it, but I did have my heart set on a semi-aggressive. Im basically looking for a few bigger fish with some complimentary fish that will get along with them. It doesn't have to be packed with fishies.

8. Eienna

Hmmm...maybe someone else can help you with that. I have generally shied away from semi-aggressives, so I haven't really researched them.

9. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

Thanks for your help!
    What's your favorite fish you have had?

10. Eienna

11. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

!! I love her! So pretty!

12. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I have a bgk. He's one of my favorite fish. We are in the process of getting a new 75 gal but right now he's in a 55. Not sure if he will stay there or move to the 75. He's really cool though. Will take food from your hand but I try to avoid touching anything to do with what goes in my tank because I get a lot of gas, deisel , oils and whatnot on me at work so my wife usually feeds and moves stuff around unless its the weekend and I KNOW I got all the off my hands and arms

13. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

If you want some aggression, you could do a Jewel Cichlid in that thank.

14. Mer-max

Meant to mention my bgk isn't very aggressive. He stays in a cave most of the time until its feeding time. Seldom times well find him roaming around

15. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

I'd like some semi aggressive that could all live together with a school or two, and one or two larger centerpiece fish. any ideas?

If not, I might just get a shoal of Glass catfish, a shoal of hatchetfish, and maybe a couple of dwarf or flame gouramis... not sure if any cichlids would work as centerpiece fish with the catfish, and the hatchetfish. I would also like to get 3 Khuli loaches. any other additions or suggestions to go around this?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  16. Mer-max

I think you will end up with your hopes let down on here. If I were you - just get schools of cichlids - they are awesome

17. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

I don't know much about semi aggressive fish, sorry.

If you wanted to go peaceful though I would skip the dwarf gourami. First off you could only get 1 since males are too aggressive with each other. Also gourami usually stick to the top of the tank, which is the same area the hatchetfish would be.

I'd suggest
    6-8 hatchetfish (generally keep to top of tank)
    6-8 glass catfish (generally keep to middle)
    5-6 Kuhli loaches (generally keep to bottom)
    2 rams (either German blue rams, gold rams or electric blue rams).

18. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

That actually sounds perfect. You might have just made my tank! Do the rams have to be mated pairs? Or would they do okay as two males or two females?

Also, which would you suggest adding first?
    After cycling is completed of course.

I'm thinking electric blue rams.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  19. Eienna

Best to pair them, I think, but I have had reasonable success keeping just females.

Hatchets or Kuhlis first. Probably hatchets.

20. OP
    OP
    TVAL

TVAL New Member Member

Thanks Eienna! I'll probably do the hatchets, then the kuhlis, then the glass catfish and leave that for at least a month, then look into the rams. unless I should get the rams sooner? not sure how aggressive they are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice