First Saltwater Aquarium

ChrisCoates

Reaction score
looking at starting with saltwater after keeping tropical freshwater aquariums what’s the cheapest and best way to get into keeping marine fish when it comes to a set up?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
looking at starting with saltwater after keeping tropical freshwater aquariums what’s the cheapest and best way to get into keeping marine fish when it comes to a set up?
Honestly it all depends on what you want to do. The cheapest would be a small fish only tank with just a few small fish (ie clownfish, cardinalfish, Possum/Pink Streaked Wrasse, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish). Corals require more expensive lighting (particularly if you want LEDs) and are fairly expensive themselves. They also require additional water tests.

There are some "bad habits" that freshwater has taught you so I would start out with this vid to give you an idea of many of the common newbie mistakes folks make when converting over:

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also, youtube InappropriateReefer's 10g setup. I think he did that whole setup under $200 or something.

TheTankCrasher

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also, youtube InappropriateReefer's 10g setup. I think he did that whole setup under $200 or something.
His was a budget $146 nano reef tank.

For everyone else I highly recommend following him! He’s got some really cool things and does an amazing job of showing you step by step of how to set up a nano reef and even goes into showing you how he’s dosing/feeding and updates after periods of time.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
His was a budget $146 nano reef tank.

For everyone else I highly recommend following him! He’s got some really cool things and does an amazing job of showing you step by step of how to set up a nano reef and even goes into showing you how he’s dosing/feeding and updates after periods of time.
Definitely follow him. He's a pretty cool cat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom