First Salt Water Aquarium

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Beausoleiljacob, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Valued Member Member

Hi Fishlore,
    After tons of research and a big dream of starting a saltwater tank, I think I may be ready to start buying stuff for my tank. I decided I wanted a nano tank to start off with. I was thinking either the BioCube 29 Gallon or the Red Sea Max C Series 150 (34G). I'm not sure which one to go with. Both are going to be expensive regardless of which one I get. The Red Sea is very Expensive to begin with but comes with good equipment that I would have to purchase with the Bio Cube such as a Protein Skimmer (Not sure if it is good however), Controller (Power Center) and stuff like that. However, with the Biocube I would be able to customize. I was looking into the Tunze Protein Skimmer, a UV sterilizer (Which one?), A good Heater (Neo-Therm?) etc. However, I'm going to need a updated pump (MP10 or Hydor Nano 2 of what kind), a better pump (No Idea would I get a power head or submersible pump). As of now i'm leaning towards the BioCube because the cheaper the better! I'm very low on funds, but I don't really care! I can't wait to get my tank. Also with the BioCube What would I get in terms of filtration (In tank Media Basket) What would I get for Mechanical Filtration. I know in Section 1 of the back sump I would either have a heater or power head. Section 2 Either power head and Media Basket or Media Basket and what else? And Section 3 a pump and UV sterilizer. I'm just starting off and am pretty much clueless! I appreciate all the help!
    ;)

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have a Biocube 29 gallon and I love it. It has such a nice look and it's an all in one. There's also Maany mods that you can do to it. A tunze protein skimmer would be good for the 1st chamber. I was thinking of buying an intake media basket for the 2nd chamber, but I figured that I didn't really need all the extra media since live rock is your main filtration. I just have a sponge and carbon. Many people run Purigen, or chemi pure with filter floss and carbon in their media baskets. I don't quite get what you're saying about putting powerheads in the chamber? The powerheads go inside the tank. I would get 2 hydro koralia 425 for the tank. They work very well and it won't leave you with any dead spots in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

I wasn't sure either about the powerhead. Anyways, what would I be able to put in chamber 3 in order to get a greater flow rate / turnover rate (replacing the return pump). In saltwater do you still want a flowrate x10 the amount of the tanks volume. Also, what would you recommend for a UV sterilizer to connect to the return pump? Would I be best with the 2 hydro Koralias or 1 MP10? Thanks for all your help. Can you give me an idea of what exactly you have in each of your chambers?

4. AquaticBrandon

For chamber 3 you can upgrade the return pump. I've seen many people upgrade the return pump go get more flow. I don't use a uv sterilizer, but here's a uv sterilizer for the Biocube  
    I don't really run anything in my chambers. The 1st chamber has my heater. It's currently not in use though because it's summer and the temp in my room and tank are fine. 2nd chamber I'm running carbon, sponge and some filter floss. Although I might add some Purigen or chemi pure. The last chamber just has my return pump. It has pretty good flow and it's the stock pump that comes with the Biocubes. I'm not running any skimmer or uv sterilizer. All my parameters are good and I keep up with my water changes so I don't really need a skimmer, it does help though.
    Edit: I don't have experience with the MP-10 power head. I'm running my hydor koralia 425

5. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Would the CoralLife One Be Good enough would you say and last a long time? Or is there better brands. What type of pump would you recommend upgrading to?

6. AquaticBrandon

I'm just running the stock pump on my Biocube. It works pretty good . But you can upgrade to a maxi jet 1200 or a rio 6HF( with eheim 16/22 tubing)

7. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Which is Best! The one that will last the longest for the money. Would I have to purchase the tubing? Or does the Biocube come with it?

8. AquaticBrandon

Are you gonna do a FOWLR or a reef tank? If it's going to be a FOWLR tank then the stock pump should do. You don't have to buy any tubing, the stock pump already comes with it.

9. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

As I become more experienced I would like to switch over to a reef tank but to start I would like to go with the FOWLR. However, I would still like a better pump. I also so there are the Hydor Ones (Pico 1200)

10. AquaticBrandon

Yeah I've heard good reviews about that pump also.

11. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Which one would you go with in regards to the pump. Also for the UV Sterilizer would you say the Coral Life one would be the best option? The thing is I want to do everything right from the beginning. Is there anything I would like to do in regards of Lighting? Also would I need a controller kind of thing to be able turn stuff on and off wirelessly and keep stuff on a timer or if it would just be easier to get the Coral Life Timer one.

12. AquaticBrandon

I would go with the MJ1200
    http://m.marinedepot.com/products/3...s-mj-multi-purpose-powerhead-pump?group=false
    You can get it cheaper on other sites, I just used this site to show the pump. Actually I might upgrade to this one. It's looks pretty good and it's cheap. As for the uv sterilizer, it's not recommend to add it to a tank right away. It should be added after the tank is well established. You don't really need timers, I don't use them. I just have to turn off the light and that's all.

13. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Ok. So no need for one of those fancy controllers, that you can control everything from your phone? I will buy the UV Sterilizer to start and just not use it. Also are the nano circulation pumps the ones you are referring to?

14. AquaticBrandon

No need for them :). Although they do look pretty cool and are fancy. The pump that I linked is a return pump that goes in the last chamber. Circulation pumps or powerheads are what go inside the tank to give out flow for corals, fish and to remove any dead spots.

15. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

Sorry I must sound like a nut. I meant to quote a different post of yours. Are the Hydor Korilla Nano's the ones I want or are they the evolution? Also I saw they make a wave maker. Should I buy that?

16. AquaticBrandon

17. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

18. AquaticBrandon

Yeah those are the ones with the controllers. I didn't know they were pretty cheap. You can get Those if you want, the 425's would work. The good thing about them is that you can move the wave makers with the controller. No need to put your hand in the tank to manually move them.

19. OP
    OP
    Beausoleiljacob

In the future would the lighting the tank come with be sufficient to do corals? Or would I need to upggrade my lighting? What would you reccomend?

20. AquaticBrandon

The stock Biocube lights might be able to grow a few low light corals. But not much, I would recommend the Kessil a150 LEDs. I know they are pricey but are very good and can grow a variety of corals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice