First Reefstock Australia! (an Article)

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This weekend (11th & 12th of August 2018) the First Annual Reefstock Australia, hosted by Jake Adams aka Reef Builders, was held.

The show was held at the Stamford Plaza Hotel in Sydney, doors opened at 10am and closed at 6pm (4pm on the thursday). There was a total of 36 vendors and 8 sponsors. All 36 vendors were Abyss Aquariums, Moreton Aquaria, Eastwood Aquarium, Fritz Aquatics, Waterbox, Aquaforest Australia, Swell Frags, Frankie's Frags, Hmahli Marine, JZ Marine, Pax Bellum, Dalua Australia, Blue Life USA, Reef Secrets Aquarium, Majestic Aquariums, Aquariums Australia, Aquatic Life, Aqua Depot, Reef River Reptile, Aquaristic, Fur 'N' Fins, Gallery Aquatica, Sustainable Reefs, Nature Aquariums, CADE, Ocean Life Aquariums, Custom Built Aquatics, Aqua Blue, Eshops, Red Sea, Ocean Reefs Marine Aquariums, Batavia Coral Farm, Aquariums at Asquith, Salty Pets, Continuum Aquatics, Fish Doctor, Williamstown Aquarium, Monsoon Aquatics, Fine Pebble Aquarium and Clownfish Creations.

All sponsors were, Beyond The Sea Reef Supplies, Aquaforest, Dalua Australia, Aqua Depot, CADE, Aqua Blue, Monsoon Aquatics and Salty Pets.

Bellow I have attached some photos of some on the coral that was at the vendors stalls. The coral that was presented there was of an extremely high quality ranging from some of the nicest Australian Scollymia and Acanthastrea and Micromusa through to the extremely rare Australian Jawbreaker Mushrooms.

Reef River Reptile, one of the larger vendors at the show, had an amazing display consisting of over 500 Blastomussa frags, large ricordea and their most valued item. A large red acanthophyllia cushion coral with one small green streak in it. This Acanthophyllia sold towards the end of the second day for $1000 which might sound like a lot to any Americans reading this but its actually not that bad of a price for its size and rarity of colour.

Frankies Frags has some of his amazing frags that he has been growing and cultivating for years including his own line of "Frankenberry Montipora" characterised by its Golden body, red rim and bright green polyps as well as his own line of 'Utter Chaos' Zoanthid with the brightest red rim I've seen on. Another item He had that we don't usually see here in Australia was a roughly 3" sized rainbow lobophyllia that sold for $250 (originally $300) at the end of the last day.

JZ Marine had large Euphyllia on display including 2 gigantic hammer colonies. But the real eye catcher was they small Red haddoni anemone that had a $3000 price tag on it! Towards the end of the second day they lowered it to $2500, even for $3000 its a pretty low price compared to what other Red Haddonis have sold for previously in Australia (sometimes upwards of $4000). There was also a very interesting painted lobster for sale at their booth.

At the Dalua booth there was some interesting Maxi Mini Anemones (owned by JZ but being held at Dalua) ranging from your basic single tone green to my personal favourite a small intense gold with a green rim. I actually ended up buying this to add to my collection for $100.

Swell frags was personally one of my favourite booths. They had an awesome range of items ranging from Sunburst Bubble tip anemones starting at a super low price of only $200 through to exotic red and yellow maxi mini anemones. They also had some hand picked rock flower anemones which is quite a rare sight for Australia. Personally these were the first ones I'd ever seen in the country and no one else had them at the show. They ranged from green and brown ($70) to red and yellow ($450) and these guys sold out pretty fast. A small range of nice Scollymia were there along side a really nice range of ultra acans ranging from ultra reds to ultra rainbows. I picked up a large frag with about 8 heads that is yellow, red, green and blue with a purple rim.

That was the majority of the top end corals that were at Reefstock Australia. There were other items there such as a nice range of Button Scollyima at Ocean Reefs Marine Aquariums, these ranged from simple green bleeding apples to red, green, blue and yellow masters. The large majority of the Scollyima there would be considered ultra or master. Some even rivaled that prized ‘master’ title!

The raffles over the weekend had a swarm of prizes ranging from Triton ICP test to Polyp Lab Lense kits to Lights to Full frag tank setups! On day one the grand raffle prizes were an AI Prime Light at 2pm and at the 4pm raffle an Illuimagic Style was won by one of the Lucky vendors at Gallery Aquatics. The raffle was seconds from being recalled when she made it down to claim the prize!

Hopefully you enjoyed reading this article. I have an Instagram page where I share all my own corals and reefing journey and have even more reefstock images than I have shared here. If you gave that a checkout I would really appreciate it! () Enjoy below some photos that I took during the event of some of the amazing corals presented at the First Annual Reefstock Australia!

Attachments

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh my God. How did I miss it. Fine pebble aquarium is the store I usually go to! Wowza those corals in image one are cool.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Eeee! I finally had time to sit down and properly read this. Thank you so much for the write-up and all the great details. I felt almost as if I were there. Errrr.... I'm so super jelly of those button scolys that I considered getting all braggy about the RFA selection 'round here, lol. Honestly, I don't think $1000 is that unusual for a rare large acanthophyllia either. Idk about elsewhere in the States but I haven't seen really juicy ones in LFS's and when I went looking on eBay... well, the one I liked was $900. So that was a big fat no thank you.

Seriously, I've enjoyed all the pics, stories, and this post so much. Thank you for sharing this with us Brayden!

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
Eeee! I finally had time to sit down and properly read this. Thank you so much for the write-up and all the great details. I felt almost as if I were there. Errrr.... I'm so super jelly of those button scolys that I considered getting all braggy about the RFA selection 'round here, lol. Honestly, I don't think $1000 is that unusual for a rare large acanthophyllia either. Idk about elsewhere in the States but I haven't seen really juicy ones in LFS's and when I went looking on eBay... well, the one I liked was $900. So that was a big fat no thank you.

Seriously, I've enjoyed all the pics, stories, and this post so much. Thank you for sharing this with us Brayden!
Thanks! It was an awesome show! I bought way too much coral home lol, I'm broke for like the next 6 months! Yeah some acanthophyllia are really costly here!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I lived closer - and had a marine tank - i would of gone! They have an aquarium/reptile expo in melbourne in late Nov that I'm thinking of going to... first one I would ever go to, so really interesting in going!

Great shops!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom