First Real Plant Help

1. erin3270 Initiate Member

I got my first real plant today. I have only one layer of gravel. Is there any ideas I can use to help myake my plants stay at the bottom?

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

what kinds of plant is it? some plants can be strapped to rocks and logs, or a med rock then covered in gravel. there are some that are supposed to float too.

3. erin3270 Initiate Member

Steed1172

The tube it came in says:
    Live Aquatic Plant
    12'' Umbrella plant
    Spathiphyllum Wallisii

4. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

5. erin3270 Initiate Member

Reply to Steed1172

Ahh! So I practically wasted 15 dollars??? I read they are good for Angelfish so thats why I got it. I was hping it could be at the bottom. Darn. Well thanks!

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That is not a true aquatic plant. Sorry. It's related to the peace lily.
    Carol

7. erin3270 Initiate Member

For future sake... How can I get my future aquatic plants to sink?

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

9. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

How deep is the gravel in your tank? You need at least 2inches, preferably 3, of substrate material to have a planted tank. Also what is the particle size of your gravel? If the gravel is too large, it leaves large gaps between each grain & the roots can have a hard time getting a grip. Either a substrate that is not deep enough or has too big of a particle size can cause plants to float back to the surface. To be honest I have never had to weigh a plant down yet, even with very light substrate material like ecocomplete & I've had almost as many plants over the years as I've had fish.

Here's a link to an aquatic plant database that may help you out with your plant selection in the future: http://www.tropica.com/default.asp