Question First readings

bmb0214

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I added substrate and water to my new 32g on the 3rd. No fish, plants, or food. But it does have some established media from previous owner. I checked water for the first time yesterday on the 6th - ph was 7.4-7.6, ammonia .25, nitrates about 5 ppm and nitrite 0.

I do have a live plant pack coming I expect to receive by the end of the week. Any Recommendations on next steps? How often should I test?

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bmb0214 said:
I added substrate and water to my new 32g on the 3rd. No fish, plants, or food. But it does have some established media from previous owner. I checked water for the first time yesterday on the 6th - ph was 7.4-7.6, ammonia .25, nitrates about 5 ppm and nitrite 0.

I do have a live plant pack coming I expect to receive by the end of the week. Any Recommendations on next steps? How often should I test?
I would do a 20-25% water change and then test. Ammonia levels like that won't kill your fish right away, but it is always best at 0. Since your nitrates are at 5ppm and rising, your tank is fully cycled. As long as you do weekly water changes the nitrate won't be out of control. After your water change and test, if the ammonia is at 0, you can look into getting fish. Wishing you luck! I would also test every week-two weeks :), but that is just my preference.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom