First proper planted tank [Java Ferns + Moss]. How do I keep it healthy + happy.

• Thread starter hendr1x
  • Start date

hendr1x

Hello everyone,
Just yesterday I setup/planted a 75 freshwater aquarium (photo attached). At this point I realized I really don't know enough to keep the plants them healthy and happy. I would appreciate any input but I had the following questions come up...

Background info : All plants are Java Fern except one crinum calamistratum in back. All moss in Java moss.

1) Lighting : I currently have a Marineland LED Strip Lights 34" [ML90614]. It was hard to be 100% sure but I THINK these are the specs : 468 Lumens, 120 Volts, 8.5 Watts, 7800K Light Appearance. Will this work for my setup?

2) Substrate : Currently I have basically none. The plants are in between rocks and stuffed into the drift wood. Is this acceptable?

3) Ferts / Nutrients : Is this something that is required with my setup? Can someone recommend a simple/cheap schedule for me to follow? I don't care about fast growth at all, I just want my plants to be healthy.

4) Silver Dollars : The question I don't want to ask. So I have 7 silver dollars that I absolutely love. I got plants that I heard they do not like to eat. Is there any chance that I can use them in this tank?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Attachments

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Perfect with the way you planted the Java fern!! The plants you listed really don’t need much light or care in general.
I personally recommend Thrive liquid ferts. You can find them online, I believe it’s cheaper to order straight from their website. Since java fern feed off of the water column you will definitely want some liquid ferts to keep them happy.
Such a beautifully decorated tank!! You may experience some melt or die off at first, but don’t be discouraged. That is extremely common. However, you are definitely set up for success.

Argos

Holy schnickes that is a beautiful piece of driftwood! Where did you obtain such a large and beautiful piece?
I just wanted to chime in and say that I love your tank! (I agree with veiltailking’s advice above)

hendr1x

So I found it for sale on facebook marketplace and had to have it. I brought it home and it didn't fit in my 60g. So now you know why I just setup a 75g ;)

Top Bottom