Help First Post! Need Help With African Dwarf Frog

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! I've been lurking on this site for a while so I decided to just sign up! Happy to be here :cat:!

I'm fairly new to the hobby; I've been taking care of my sisters 20 gallon for about a year now while she's been away, and everything's been going fine until very recently. All of her neon tetras have ick! I've never dealt with this before, I ran out and bought tetra ick guard but I don't think I can dose the tank just yet 'cause it's got 3 nerite snails and an African dwarf frog (I know I need more for the little guy to be happy, I wanna deal with the ick first tho) in it and I've been reading and both of them are really sensitive to the main ingredient in the tetra ick guard. My problem is that I don't have another tank to put the nerites and frog in; I have a planted tank in my room that's been cycling for 5 days now but the ammonia is way too high for the ADF and while there's a tiny bit of nitrites, I still haven't gotten any nitrates.

I'm worried because some of the neons are really bad off and I feel like if I wait for the cycle to complete, I'm gonna lose some of em, but if I put the ADF in the uncycled tank, I might lose him or at least it would hurt him. I'm at a loss for what I should do here. There's also corries in the tank and I've read conflicting information about if tetra ick guard is safe for them as well. (I know it's overstocked, I've been doing water changes like crazy).

Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pull the frog and the snails out of the tank. Do a couple big water changes on your tank that's cycling to get your readings to 0, this will make it safe to put the frog and snails in. Treat the neons in their tank. Just test your water and partial water changes as needed to keep it safe for the frog. Good luck.

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
Pull the frog and the snails out of the tank. Do a couple big water changes on your tank that's cycling to get your readings to 0, this will make it safe to put the frog and snails in. Treat the neons in their tank. Just test your water and partial water changes as needed to keep it safe for the frog. Good luck.
Thank you! Will this stop the tank from cycling or is this essentially a fish/frog and snail cycle? I'll do my best to stay on top of the water changes

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom