First Platy Fry

1. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

So during my water change today I surprisingly saw my first baby platy! I was shocked since my female platy never looked pregnant. My males looked more pregnant lol.

I only saw 1 baby platy so I quickly scooped em on up and into the hanging breeder. Its an old net breeder and I placed some hornwort in it for the baby so it won't be as stressed.

My questions are:

1. Food. Do i make a flake paste? Do I get hikari first bites? Suggestions?
    2. It's in my main tank since all QT are full. I don't need to add another bubbler do I?
    3. I've seen people talk about doing daily water changes with fry. The tank is cycled, do I still need to do daily or can I stick to weekly?

Any other advice is appreciated!!

[​IMG]
    Hard to get a photo since it's in a net breeder.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

1. Crushed flakes are fine.

2. No need for another bubbler.

3. Weekly is fine. Your fry has been around for a while if it's that big.

3. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Really?? It must have been hiding in the hornwort or something. Mind you that pleco is maybe 1.5-2in.
    I would guess that the baby is maybe around 3/8 in?

4. lindsey29

lindsey29 New Member Member

Ah its so exciting i had my first platy fry a month ago, i managed to save 6 i kept them in a fry net in my main tank and just carried on with twice weekly water changes (my tanks over stocked currently cycling a 14g)i put sum java moss in with them to hide and fed them crushed flakes, there doing great at the min ive just moved them to a small 3 gallon tank to have more space untill my 14g is finished cycling.
    there mum is due again any day and im letting nature take its course this time [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. TexasDomer

The fact that you can easily see it and it's coloration means it's not a new born :)

6. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

That makes perfect sense. I've only ever had baby shrimp and never any fish so I'm kind of excited about it! I have been meaning to rehome either my 2 males or my 1 female but I'll rehome whichever gender this baby is not. Since I would like to keep the baby :)
    Can I sex it at this age? The fins are clear but i think it looks like a girl.

With a baby this old, do you think the female can still have babies from the same group? Or is it too late? Mind you I never knew she was even pregnant lol.

7. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blurry pic is the female on the right.

8. TexasDomer

I'm not sure if it's big enough to sex yet.

And I don't quite understand your other question. Do you mean if the mother can still have babies? She can have babies for another 6-12 months after being separated from males.

9. OP
    OP
    tokiodreamy

Sorry let me clarify. I do know they can have babies after they've been separated from the males. I know there's usually more babies in a batch, so I'm asking if this fry is the only one who managed to survive or is it possible for the mom to only give birth to 1 and might be still pregnant with the rest from that batch? I only have 3 platy, 2 black phantom tetras and 1 BN pleco. 29g heavily planted. I hope nature didn't take course here.

Also when do they get their color? Trying to figure out how old this little one is. A few days? Few weeks? A month?!

10. TexasDomer

I doubt she only gave birth to one at a time and that one happened to survive. This one is older, so I would assume that the next fry will be from another reproductive cycle.

Sorry, I'm not great with aging other than knowing that that one isn't a newborn.