First Planted Tank Advice

1. Distortionist

Distortionist Valued Member Member

Hello people.

This is my first fish tank. I used potting soil covered in gravel. I don't dose anything to fertilize, no co2, its the factory Fluval Spec V light. I have given the plants a shot of carbon twice. This was planted about 2 and a half weeks ago. One of the included pictures is what it looked like when I first planted it.

Most plants are doing well as you can see. My 4 leaf clover died everywhere I planted it, all the dead brown stuff behind the snail is what is left of it. My question is why did it die while everything else is doing so well? what do I do with its mess? I have been keeping it there and getting rid of the dead leaves that are easy to access. I see it tried to grow new sprouts but they look like they are dying too. My other problem is my Dwarf Hair Grass, it browned a bit and its just not doing anything. Can someone give me some advice on those? I think everything is doing pretty good, my big Lilly leaf there has holes in it but it has new growth and most of it looks healthy. I have another couple of small ones that are not doing as good but they are alive.

Can you look through my pictures and just give me an idea if I am doing ok, is it over crowded with plants, and is my density enough to introduce some shrimp? I would like 3-5 shrimp in there. I am about 2 weeks away from when I would like to introduce them.

The bonus pictures are my daughters betta coming from the fish store ( she picked the dullest most sickly looking fish, but that is the one she wanted the whole time out of beautiful fish ) and after his new home. I love that fish, he is not aggressive to anything, plays and rubs up against our fingers, eats from our fingers and is always very happy to see us. I am very happy so far with everything, just the clover, the grass, and i want things to carpet!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Wow, beautiful tank and your fish is gorgeous. Colored up really well!
    I would say that the plant density is perfect for shrimp. If you're lucky, the shrimp will breed and the plants will help keep the babies alive.
    It generally takes a month of so for plants to fully transition into their new environment. Most plants will melt back before putting out new leaves that are better suited to their environment.
    I'm not sure why the clover died off. Might have been your water parameters or lighting. A similar thing happened to me. I can't keep cabomba, of all plants, alive in my tanks but other plants that have similar parameters are doing well.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Your tank looks great!

Answers in green below :)

Unfortunately you won't get true carpeting plants with this setup, but consider something low light and easy like dwarf sag or S. repens to cover the bottom of the tank.

4. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

Really what are you trying to go for? So many schools of thought it's hard for me to talk about without coming across as rude but I'll try. It comes down to your personal taste. Like my uncle douses his yard in crazy chemicals because he wants the typical "best lawn on the block look". My grandmother wants a more natural look thick with wild flowers - not unkempt but classy. Me I don't care what my neighbors think I want what's best for my vegetable garden. Some people want to attract wildlife and so on. The same is true in Aquaria. There's no one way but if you want to look like a Dutch aquascape or amano there's just certain things that could help. If you wanna breed that's another set of criteria that has to be met. Are you on a budget? Are you retired already or trying to do this on nights/weekends? Fact is what works for one won't for others. There's so many variables and ultimately it's your preference. Brainstorm, write it all down and decided what's really important to you. I see alot of ppl railroaded on here and talked into unrealistic commitments. Even though we have different values we can all share something tho so definitely ask. It generates great discussion

5. OP
    OP
    Distortionist

I am trying to avoid fancy setups on this tank, thank you for the recommendation. I will look for those plants. They look like something I picked for the 55 I am readying, it is called Blyxia japonica.

6. TexasDomer

Blyxia can be a little difficult as well. But a simple, low light, low tech, heavily planted tank is definitely possible :) You are well on your way to that! I would just add some ferts to benefit the plants :) It can be cheap and easy!

7. OP
    OP
    Distortionist

You lost me. I am not even sure you posted on the right forum! I am asking about my 4 leaf clover, I have no idea why it just died like that while everything is growing, I was also curious if my dwarf hair grass is missing something or needing something, and finally, I wanted to know if my density is enough to have a few shrimp in there.

8. C

Leave the dead 4leaf in there if you can live with it. Why disturb everything?
    Dwarf hairgrass doesn't always do well without co2
    This is exactly what I'm talking about here you make it sound like there's some miracle answer to your exact situation and there really isn't. Only you know why the 4leaf died - understand?

9. OP
    OP
    Distortionist

Oh my 55 gallon is for me to play with, it has a nice big light on it, I got a Current USA Satellite Plus Pro 48" on that tank and if I need another as things grow I will get one. I don't plan on doing CO2 on the big one but I am open to it. I have an army of Seachem ferts that I just have not used yet on that little tank, things in general are growing so well, I have trimmed and given away plants already. I only added excel in case by betta is not making enough CO2 for the plants! I use a bubbler at night so they don't run out of O2. I will get some dwarf sag with my next order to plant in between those rocks in my little tank.

10. TexasDomer

I don't understand what you're saying @ChiefBrody. I would remove the dead plant so it doesn't cause ammonia issues.

@Distortionist unfortunately I've heard the Currents aren't always as good for plants as they seem. Hopefully it'll work for you!

You definitely don't need to inject CO2 to have a lush, healthy, planted tank.

As long as you have surface agitation, you don't need an extra bubbler. In a heavily planted tank, I would even argue against using one.

11. OP
    OP
    Distortionist

I have no experience, I was asking in case it is something obvious that I missed. I found it weird that everything did so well except for that, but you are right, I think I do know the answer now, I have been googleing and apparently they are grown out of water and when sold and put in water they die and come back, ill just hope they come back. I don't mind them being there I was worried about disease/fungus/bacteria. I am now hoping the nerites I got yesterday will munch on the dead matter.

12. C

Yeah, definitely a Scott's yard. Heh, heh, heh...

13. C

Snails will take care of the dead plant. Quit messing with it is what it needs. Let life find a way. It's about harmony not using technology to make some abomination. They're plants, they don't like being messed with. The most important thing is having a foolproof routine that doesn't breakdown. Something the keeper can commit to, not jumping all over the place. I don't know why it has to be so complicated

14. C

Bingo. See you figured it out. By the end of this thread you could've bought a co2 system for $400 for no reason. And the snails will ONLY eat the dead vegetation. You never know it might come back when everything balances out. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang on a strang!

15. TexasDomer

I'm not suggesting the use of "technology to make some abomination." I'm simply suggesting the use of ferts, plants that will do well in low light, and removing dead plants. The nerite may eat some of the dead matter, but mine never ate much. It would be best to remove it, in my opinion. No technology necessary.

16. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Looks great!

17. OP
    OP
    Distortionist

I am not sure if you are very blunt or aggravated, you do give some good info in there somewhere haha. I really don't poke at it at all. I just do my water tests and trim, I had questions I came here to learn from the more experienced, that is all and I never had any intention of getting CO2 for this tank, and not even the big tank unless I get bored and want to play hard. I am just trying to do things right. A tank full of dead plants after so much time and effort is a scary thought. Playing it safe man. Questions don't hurt.

18. fishes were wishes

fishes were wishes Valued Member Member

Looks awesome!