First Marine Tank

Princethepurplebetta
HI guys! I'm planning my first salt water tank. I have a 10 gallon already that's cleaned out and I want to start cycling it. I'm thinking of using 10pounds of sand for substrate, and aquaclear 30 for the hob. What circulation pump would be best for more flow? Which corals would be easiest to keep? I plan on having live coral and maybe 2 clowns and/or shrimp (unless some other fish would be better!)

Advertisement
Fanatic
Well, you really cannot just jump right into saltwater until you have thoroughly read about it.
Start with live rock, and move your way up to coral.

You can't keep a clown in a 10 gallon, but I know you can keep a Dottyback, or Firefish in a 10. You can also try hermit crabs and trochus snails.

Princethepurplebetta
Well, you really cannot just jump right into saltwater until you have thoroughly read about it.
Start with live rock, and move your way up to coral.

You can't keep a clown in a 10 gallon, but I know you can keep a Dottyback, or Firefish in a 10. You can also try hermit crabs and trochus snails.

Ok thanks! Ive been reading about it for awhile now and watching videos. I won't start it up for a few more months (maybe around 5 or so months). Id prefer coral but I can try to find live rock instead if its easier for beginers

stella1979
The AC30 will be great for a 10g, but it will not provide enough surface agitation or overall flow for the tank. For that reason, I would suggest using the AC30 in addition to a small powerhead. Lots of folks like Hydor Koralias, I personally prefer a Jebao. Those are the brands I would look into for a 10g.

Although it is possible to have 2 clowns in a 10g, it would be recommended for someone with experience and know how. Particularly since you want corals, I would stick to just one fish, and I'd recommend a dotty or firefish too. Have a look at the nano fish section of LiveAquaria, find what you like, and then do more research on it. Corals want perfect parameters and low nitrates, which will be hard in a small tank that would be overstocked with 2 clowns.

While it's true that you don't want to put corals in a brand new tank, I would disagree with having to start with live rock. Some of us, myself included, have started with only dry rock. Dry rock becomes live in your tank eventually, and is pest free. Of course live rock also may help you cycle faster, and will come with all the good stuff along with the possibility of pests. That's a choice you'll have to make for yourself. Also, you can start with some beginner corals earlier than you might think. I would say as soon as you've got the tank cycled, stocked, and your sure all parameters are stable. I cycled my tank, stocked it with a clean up crew and fish, then got my first corals all in less than 3 months from first putting water in the tank.

Definitely do lots of reading, and for videos, I couldn't recommend BRStv's 52 Weeks of Reefing playlist enough... I think there's a few videos just about rock choices.

Here is a great new guide about starting a small saltwater tank on a budget.

Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners

Princethepurplebetta
The AC30 will be great for a 10g, but it will not provide enough surface agitation or overall flow for the tank. For that reason, I would suggest using the AC30 in addition to a small powerhead. Lots of folks like Hydor Koralias, I personally prefer a Jebao. Those are the brands I would look into for a 10g.

Although it is possible to have 2 clowns in a 10g, it would be recommended for someone with experience and know how. Particularly since you want corals, I would stick to just one fish, and I'd recommend a dotty or firefish too. Have a look at the nano fish section of LiveAquaria, find what you like, and then do more research on it. Corals want perfect parameters and low nitrates, which will be hard in a small tank that would be overstocked with 2 clowns.

While it's true that you don't want to put corals in a brand new tank, I would disagree with having to start with live rock. Some of us, myself included, have started with only dry rock. Dry rock becomes live in your tank eventually, and is pest free. Of course live rock also may help you cycle faster, and will come with all the good stuff along with the possibility of pests. That's a choice you'll have to make for yourself. Also, you can start with some beginner corals earlier than you might think. I would say as soon as you've got the tank cycled, stocked, and your sure all parameters are stable. I cycled my tank, stocked it with a clean up crew and fish, then got my first corals all in less than 3 months from first putting water in the tank.

Definitely do lots of reading, and for videos, I couldn't recommend BRStv's 52 Weeks of Reefing playlist enough... I think there's a few videos just about rock choices.

Here is a great new guide about starting a small saltwater tank on a budget.

Nart's Budget Nano Saltwater Guide For Beginners

Thank you so much! That helps a lot! Ill deff wait till my cycle is complete to add any corals and Ill deff look into the dottybacks Thanks!

Jesterrace
FYI, the dottyback's are aggressive fish that don't play nice with others and in a 10 gallon tank they would definitely be territorial and bully anything that is even twice their size. You can have Dottybacks and Damsels but you have to have fish that aren't afraid in a fight and the firefish/dartfish are by far the biggest cowards in the saltwater trade.

Advertisement
stella1979
It's true that the dottybacks are aggressive, but if you'll only have one fish, why not go for a brave, fun little aggressor? Still, it's important to know what behaviors to expect.

Jesterrace
I missed the part about it being the only fish. In that case a BI Color Dottyback or Blue Eye Royal Dottyback would be the way to go. You certainly wouldn't miss that in a tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Bek
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views