first hitch hiker? Help

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nate21887, Mar 24, 2010.

1. nate21887

nate21887 Valued Member Member

found a small worm like creature i think hitch hiked on my live rock. he/she is about 2 inches long with a red "head" with a black body with rows of white hair runnin along the length of it. any ideas as to what this might be. hopin to have a pic soon but no camera so...any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: upon farther research found it is a fireworm thanks anyway

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a hitch hicker!!! What up!!! It's me !! Lol You have a problem dude!! Okay first of all does it look like a centipede? And does it have tons of legs like a centipede? If so that is a unwanted creature need to catch it as soon as possible!!! That is called a bristle worm and will do damage to corals and inverts to so get rid of it as soon as possible! I do have to warn you the are very hard to catch best awy is to watch him and as soon as you see him pull that rock out and use tweezers to pull him out good luck my freind hope the new place is working out for ya!!!! Oh and there are some traps to try to catch these creeters but what I wrote you is the best way!!!!

3. nemo addict

nemo addict Well Known Member Member

I have never known a bristtle worm to eat corals i think you mean flat worm, as they eat corals, bristle worms (smaller) are good for your tank as they will scavenge leftover food and help stir the sandbed, and help keep your rock pourus,,, but anyway glad you found out what it was anyway

4. Stang Man

No the bad critters that come sometimes with LR Are not a good thing such as his find a bristle worm the will damage corals due to there spines that stick out from sides and introduce venom to corals and what ever!

5. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Tweezers!! Good luck nate... your going to need better aim then a sniper rifle if thats how your going to catch it lol, must think ive got all day... NO SIR, they are way to fast and small. Ive got 2 small bristle worms... aint had a problem, ive also been told that their GOOD for your tank, out-doing the negative responses. Mine seem to have done no harm, ive got really tiny frags growing too.

6. nemo addict

They are not bad and do not sting corals ,, they dont become a pest until they get larger ,, they are more dangerous to us then corals ,, i have a load of brisstle worms in my tank and have for several years ,, i have a full reef tank , and have never had a problem , I have how ever had problems with flat worms and my acans/bubble coral , in the past , you have been mislead or have been reading old books or websites , they where 5-6 years ago considered pest just like nudi s where but then as people have found more info they turn out no to be so bad ,,,

7. Stang Man

Hmmmm! Interresting nemo you have a point on books all my books that I have had for over 15 years the oldest one of course and others that where about 6 or so still not sure about it.

8. nemo addict

Things have moved on a great deal in the last 5 years or so in the marine world, and fish that where considered not to keep have now been more researched and understood, 5 years ago a manderine dragonet was a big no no but with the cutivation of pods and a better understanding these fish are kept with a bigger sucsess rate

9. Stang Man

Thanks nemo I will agree thing's do change because of scientist that start the whole quarel of thing's this I do know. I have caught alot of these critters back in the day just have to be smarter than them Lol!! But still to this day most companys will rid of these creatures and have seen pictures of them that grow to 3 feet or more in a tank something that large will defeniatly move some stuff around.Lol!!! Thanks for your input.

10. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

a little off topic, but I've heard that ORA has had success with breeding dragonets and they eat frozen. I read that they are not going to sell them until thay're able to eat pellets.

11. nemo addict

Its ok getting them to feed on other foods but this is a lot of the reasons fish just die, because there missing things from there natrual diet , i had a manderine that ate frozen and flake but still ate loads of pods (had a fuge for it) and was fine till he decided to jump out the tank,

certain fish eat certain foods and sometimes this cant be replaced with flake ,
    If i was to get another manderine i would set my fuge up again so it had a good supply of pods to keep it healthy,

its a bit like humans if we ate MC ds all the time it wouldnt be long before you had a heart attack , ;)

12. OP
    OP
    nate21887

awesome guys thanks for all the input, sorry for the late response no computer yet in the homestead,the fish tank comes FIRST lol. But anyway the fireworm was discarded, caught him in a fake coral base and just rinsed him down the drain. I talked to a well trusted friend and he as well said to discard these little fellas as to the risk of damage to corals speaking from expierence he said...so at this point im not wantin to risk it. But as to the tank update got 5 green chromis and three black mollies swimmin around right now. water is all in spec so makin another trip to the fish store tommorow for more sand, more updates to come!:;hurryb

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  13. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

i read on 3reef they are sending them out for sale now i think, i definately read something about them breeding dragonets anyway haha

14. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Its pretty nice that they're available for captive now. I've read that thay have been thought to be a begginer fish because of they're size nad price, but they're actually really hard to take care. So now with ORA, things should be a little better. :)

15. OP
    OP
    nate21887

my LFS has a few on hand usually they are really colorful hope to include one in my tank someday. What are you guys talkin about "pods" for food?

16. Stang Man

I believe they are talking about copods in a refuge?

17. OP
    OP
    nate21887

i figured somethin to that nature was it. sinkin more sand in the tank today, its really startin to look nice, now just makin up my mind on the rock choice for the majority. I have some tokana fiji rock now im makin up my mind if i want to continue usin that or just regular fiji. the tokana is very porous but doesnt look hospitable for future anemones or corals?

18. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

and thats why there is such a thing as reef poxy :p anemones will find their own spot in the tank too. Everything tries to adapt as best it can to your tank

19. OP
    OP
    nate21887

reef apoxy? wouldnt that clog up the rock?

20. Stang Man

Have no idea what poxy are you talking reef epoxy for glueing corals to rock?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice