First Guppy Babies! Took Dad Out ,should I Take Out Mom Too?

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it looks like there's 7 babies. Dad may have eaten some I'm guessing? Is 7 a normal number?
That's not important I suppose but Mom seems ok with them and I think ill keep her in unless the baby count goes down by at least 2.
They are in a 2.5 gallon with a couple cherry shrimp and seem to be doing well !
Anyone tell me the optimal temp for guppies?I gave a 3 gallon with guppies and it's at 81 with no heater, which is a little weird. I think the filter must be heating it.
Anyways, thx for your tips/comments

Attachments

Markinglis

Reaction score
I find that most times when a fish has its first set of fry that the babies don’t do very well (just my experiences). Guppy moms can have anywhere from 2-200 babies at a time. With mine they tend to have anywhere between 15-50. Again if this is the fish’s first fry expect the number to be on the lower side. The mom will probably leave the babies alone for a day or two but after this she too may eat them. The optimum temperature from guppies is anywhere from 74-82°F. Good luck! Raising fry is so fun!

RuralGuppykeeper

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congratulations! If you want to ensure as many babies survive as possible, you can protect the babies from adult guppies and the filter intake.
However, guppies can have a lot of babies over their lifetime. :wideyed: Knowing this, I personally allow 'survival of the fittest' to take place, and cull and/or give away the remaining extra guppies. I let the filter 'eat' the few who don't escape, but I don't have shrimp to risk. I personally leave the adult guppies in, and they eat any babies that fit in their mouths, if they catch them. If I want to increase the odds of survival towards the babies favor, I add some cover for them to hide and escape into, such as fake plants.:lurking: Sometimes my baby guppies will hide, and sometimes they brave the 'open waters' seemingly carelessly. It doesn't take that many batches of babies to fill up my 10 gallon guppy aquarium to capacity.

My now grown female 'mutt guppies' are almost exclusively plain in color. For the well-being of female guppies, it is highly recommended to have at least two female guppies per male guppy; so that each female can get little breaks from the male guppy. Alternatively, it is also possible to have an aquarium with only male guppies or female guppies, if you want.

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Momma doesn't seem interested in the babies at all and for some reason the babies don't hide at all! They just swim around front and center in the tank!
I just rescued one from the filter ****.
Guess I gotta wrap up the bottom, I thought it wasn't open on the bottom. I have the side wrapped with pre filter

Vb0105

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies will have low #s if they are out of room. . A 2.5 gallon is really small and it would be better if they had a 10 gallon atleast. In a 2.5 gallon they probably will get eaten because it is a small area to have adequate hiding spots. JMO.. Congrats on the fry.

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vb0105 said:
Guppies will have low #s if they are out of room. . A 2.5 gallon is really small and it would be better if they had a 10 gallon atleast. In a 2.5 gallon they probably will get eaten because it is a small area to have adequate hiding spots. JMO.. Congrats on the fry.
Took mom out and put her in my 65 gallon along with dad Guppy but that wasn't looking good as my 2 Angels were curious and were trying to check her out which freaked the Guppy out which caused the Angels to chase her a bit.
I would have left her but she has just given birth and she was so scared I was worried she might die as she was shaking line a leaf at the top. So I wish I had just thought it through cuz I would of put one of the Guppies from my 3 gallon in the 65 and put her with the other 2 guppies in the 3 Gallon.

Lol so I put Momma in the 3 Gallon and there are 2 guppies in my 65 who are pretty scares but hopefully they adapt.
I don't wanna put 5 guppies in a 3 gallon but I think they might be happier then be freaked out in the 65.
Time will tell. Angels haven't nipped it I also have 5 Black skirt Tetras who can be quite nippy

Vb0105

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes tetras will nip the tail off of guppies for sure.. Well at least you're trying to figure it out.. Good luck with your fry and guppies. .

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to raise Guppies and in my experience it was the female that would more often eat her own fry. I have seen a female with a baby being born and another one's tail sticking out of her mouth. I used those breeder boxes after that and put the female back in the main tank after she was finished giving birth. I left the fry in the box with the v shaped piece taken out for a couple of days and then put them in another tank with only young fish.

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dch48 said:
I used to raise Guppies and in my experience it was the female that would more often eat her own fry. I have seen a female with a baby being born and another one's tail sticking out of her mouth. I used those breeder boxes after that and put the female back in the main tank after she was finished giving birth. I left the fry in the box with the v shaped piece taken out for a couple of days and then put them in another tank with only young fish.
I ordered a breeder box myself ,just waiting on delivery!

New Threads