First fry loss and a couple questions ):

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I had my first fry loss today. Two were my fault and the other was the first one that has died on me.

I went to clean the tank and I have my fry in a breeder box still while I was getting their tank ready. Well I forgot that the breeder box dips down into the water unless the lid is on the tank. Well I noticed fry swimming around and then one of my fat preg females came by and scooped it on up, she ate two, I saved the rest that got out. So then I put all the fry in the bowl and that's when I found the baby that had died. I think he got caught in the netting of the breeder box. So I still have around 40 but I feel bad that two got eaten.

Then some questions I have are...
Is there a good temp I should set the fry tank at?
Is there a good type of lighting I should get?

Oh and are they going to be okay with a filter running. I have a aqua clear 150 (its a really old one so it doesn't suck too fast)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, sorry to hear.

I don't breed fish (yet), but I know a lot of members recommend sponge filters in their fry tanks.

I'm sure someone will come along shortly and give you accurate answers, but in the meantime, if you could everyone know what type of fry you have, I'm sure that'll help them advise on the best conditions for the fry.

Good luck (and congrats on a succesful spawn )

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes either put a sponge filter on it, or just get a sponge to put over the intake on the HOB.

I don't use heaters on my livebearer tank or fry tank but they stay around 75 or so.

If you wanna keep it cheap, the best lighting i've seen (for cheap) is the mini fluorescent bulbs they carry at walmart in the fish section, although i've heard that home depot also carries some that will fit as well.

other tips, keep a bare bottom in the fry tank, and when you go to vacuum/wc put some floating food so they stay near the top

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, sorry to hear.

I don't breed fish (yet), but I know a lot of members recommend sponge filters in their fry tanks.

I'm sure someone will come along shortly and give you accurate answers, but in the meantime, if you could everyone know what type of fry you have, I'm sure that'll help them advise on the best conditions for the fry.

Good luck (and congrats on a succesful spawn )
These are just balloon mollys nothing too special haha they breed like rabbits

yes either put a sponge filter on it, or just get a sponge to put over the intake on the HOB.

I don't use heaters on my livebearer tank or fry tank but they stay around 75 or so.

If you wanna keep it cheap, the best lighting i've seen (for cheap) is the mini fluorescent bulbs they carry at walmart in the fish section, although i've heard that home depot also carries some that will fit as well.

other tips, keep a bare bottom in the fry tank, and when you go to vacuum/wc put some floating food so they stay near the top
Well I put the filter in last night and left it and they're strong enough to swim away from it. Then that's the kind of lighting I have haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom