First Fresh Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Keyhole, Apr 15, 2018.

1. K

Keyhole New Member Member

I’m in a funny situation right now... I’m new to freshwater tanks, but I’ve kept several saltwater tanks with success. Hopefully this will be really quick and easy. I just have some quick questions about stocking, I have yet to decide between setting up my empty 30 gallon or 10 gallon so here’s my options

30 Gallon Freshwater Tank

1 Keyhole Cichlid 6”

2 Golden Wonder Killifish 3”-4” (7”)

1 Honey Gourami 2”

1 Striped Raphael Catfish 7”

4 Swordtail 2”-3” (9”)

10 Gallon Freshwater Tank

1 Honey Gourami 2”

2 Clown Killifish 1” (2”)

1 Platy 2”

3 Celestial Pearl Danios 1” (3”)

I listed inches for 1 inch per gallon although it isn’t advised. I can see why... the ten gallon seems like too much. Also tell me if these fish are good at a neutral pH or not.
    Thanks!!

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

The 10 gallon is too much, if you let me know which fish in particular you'd like to hang on to, I can try and help you pair that down.

I'd also pay attention to what are shoaling species. As they are far more common in freshwater fish than saltwater. For example, the danino's need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.

3. OP
    OP
    K

For the ten gallon, the only fish that I would really want is the Honey Gourami, is the thirty gallon too much as well?

4. B

Becknewt24 Valued Member Member

Welcome! And I would agree with the schooling fish. I'm new the the fish hobby as a whole, so I don't have too much advice to give sorry.

Those killifish could be aggressive tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  5. j

Ok so for the 10G, I would do:
    1-2 honey gouramis
    6 Chili rasboras or 6 ember tetras or 6 neon green tetras
    some red cherry shrimp or a snail

I'm not sure about the 30G, I'm not too familiar with those fish. I'd say the Raphael Catfish is too big for that tank. Maybe look into a shoal of 6-8 Corydas catfish. I'd probably say the same for the cichlid. But I may be wrong. Hopefully someone else can help out too!

6. B

You could probably do 10-12 kuhli loaches as well, Maybe java loaches.

7. j

You mean for the 30G correct?

8. OP
    OP
    K

I like the idea for the ten gallon, now I’m just wondering on what to do for the 30

9. B

Yeah the 30 lol. That would be bad in the 10.

10. j

I'm always inclined to do bigger community tanks of smaller fish. But you could also do a species tank of a bunch of a smaller fish, or one or two bigger fish. What appeals to you?

11. OP
    OP
    K

I really like Congo tetras if I were to do small, and some smaller cichlids are very nice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice