first FOWLR tank.

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

I'm going to be shutting down my 55g high-tech planted tank in the next few weeks. I'm just tired of it. I want to turn it into a FOWLR tank instead. I have a few questions about set up and stocking.

-Do I really need to run a protein skimmer on a fowlr? If I have any corals at all in here it may be just an umbrella leather so I can watch it get gargantuan.
    -I'm planning on filtering it with 2 Eheim canister filters. Is this okay?
    -I was leafing through "Marine Fishes:500+ essential-to-know aquarium species" by Scott Michael and it says that Volitan Lionfish can go in a 55g tank. Is this true? I would love to have one but it seems that a 55g would be too small for a 15" fish.
    -If I got a Volitan what else could I stock the tank with, if anything? I was thinking a Humuhumu trigger or maybe a basslet or hamlet of some sort.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Scott

2. pitbull_nc Member Member

I can't answer all of your questions, maybe someone with more experience than what I have can help, however I do know a protein skimmer is a key part of your tank. It can be one of the most essential parts of your setup to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. As for your filters, I would say depending how many gallons that they can filter through you should be good. Make sure that they can at least handle the load that you have in your tank. A wise person told me once that you cannot have too much filtration and I stand by that. With my tanks I made sure they can filter more than what my tanks require to keep good filtration, including my protein skimmer. As for the Lionfish I have always heard about 100+ gallons but there might be someone on here that has more experience with them than I do. As for compatible fish I have seen tangs, pufferfish and triggers with them. What I have heard is that the most important part of compatibility with them is to make sure that whatever fish you do put in with them that they are not too small (because they will become food) and that they are at least a semi aggressive fish as well. I am sorry I am not as versed in corals and cannot help you with that question about the umbrella leathers, however their is some very smart people on here that I am sure can help. I have always wanted a Volitan Lionfish and wish you the best of luck.