First Fish Dead...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Ivanovikch, Mar 21, 2019.

1. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

Hello. I'm totally new in saltwater tanks.
    Seven weeks ago I started a nano tank. Live sand, live rock power filters etc. After four weeks and because I had used live sand and live rock and water parameters were fine... ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5ppm I thought the tank was cycled. Well it wasn't...I tried some small crabs and died...I tried twice adding little crabs same result. Then I waited two more weeks doing partial water changes each week then I found ammonia peak and nitrite peak...no fish this time. I added liquid bacteria as a booster and last week I did water change but before I checked parameters. Ammonia and nitrite were 0 . So then I thought ok..now it is cycled so I got a clown fish two days ago.

I acclimated it for an hour.. dripping method ...it didn't eat the first day and today I found it kind of dying...it looks like it has cramps...heavy breathing.

What I did...I added seachem prime inmediatly...

What is going on with my tank?

Help.please.

2. Oliver1209Valued MemberMember

Low oxygen. PH swings.

3. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

What test kit are you using? Also are you using RODI water?

4. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

Ph is 8.4. Since it is the only inhabitant and there are two power filter with well water circulation I don't know bout that.

Thanks for your comment.

i'm using API test kit. The only brand available in my country. and yes only RODI water.

It is still alive...I turned lights off and it got better but this morning , it is again dying.

5. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

Update the fish Is now dead

6. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for the loss, but I will continue to help you narrow down this problem. What salinity level do you maintain in your tank? And what salinity was the fish kept at from your fish store? Also what accimation process do you use? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to help you narrow down what the trouble is.

7. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

Thanks for your help.
    Salinity at store 1.018
    Salinity at my aquarium 1.020
    I used dripping methor for an hour.

8. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Salinity levels seem really low in both tanks. 1.018 is technically the higher end of Brackish levels for salinity (place where the freshwater river deltas meet the ocean) and yours is just a hair higher. Generally the ideal salinity level is somewhere between 1.024-1.026 for full saltwater tanks. Fish can live at lower salinity levels than corals but your tank is right around the bare minimum that they need to stay alive and it might be pushing it too much for them. Personally I would never run my tank at less than 1.024 even if I didn't have corals just because it's pushing the limits of the fish IMHO. Also did you dump the water from the bag in the tank and what temp does your tank run at and what does your LFS run theirs at?

9. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

I have this salinity only because my LFS has it. The guy there suggested it. I did not dump the water from the bag into de aquarium. I followed my LFS advice about salinity befabec I read online about real salinity affected by temperature. There is even a chart that indicates real salinity according to temp. My temp was 26 C and at the local store was 27 C. I have just checked parameters and found the following:

pH 8.0-8.2 hard to tell.
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 15 ppm

I noticed pH is lower now. It had been 8.4 ...I don't know if it dropped because of seachem prime. What should I do next?

10. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

So it sounds like you are running between 78-79 degrees F and your LFS around 80 degrees F. 80 is a bit warm but it shouldn't affect the fish that bad, especially not with that little variance in temperature. The only other thing I can figure is that maybe it's staying in the bag too long and the Ammonia from the fish waste (poop) combined with the natural stress they experience with a transfer is doing them in. How far away is your LFS (ie how long does it take you to bring something home and float the bag in your tank)?

11. IvanovikchNew MemberMember

My LFS is 30 minutes drive away from home.

12. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

It could be that it's sitting in the bag too long.