First Fin Rot

Yang Xiong

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a (approx. 4 inch) 2 year old goldfish in my 10 gallon tank by itself. Previously, it had fungus growing on it's side and body area near the lateral line. I used PIMAFIX - Treats Fungal Infections on my goldfish and later about 10 hours later fungus and white stuff started growing on the tank and everywhere. This had NEVER happened before in my one year of keeping fish before and it was after I used the medicine. I quickly cleaned the tank and replaced the water 100% and then added chlorinated and the medicine again. That was yesterday, then today when I came back from school, my fish's fin is rotting!!! In the tank in which the 4 inch goldfish was by itself, I use an air pump, and a 70-72 degree heater. I change the water 50% everyday. Please help me out as this is the first time I have to deal with fin rot and it was after using medicine.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty new to the hobby myself, but first off I think you may be changing the water a bit too much. Fish have a slime coat that basically acts as a barrier between the fish and the floating cesspool of disease that is an aquarium. If you change the water too often you'll essentially dissolve this slime coat and your fish's immune system will suffer as a result.

Also, and this is a bit more speculative, but how are you sure it's a fungal infection? It's very possible it could be bacterial, in which case antifungal meds won't do anything other than ruin water quality.

If you could upload pics it would help!

- C

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 4" goldfish is way too big for a 10 gallon. They also have a massive bioload.

That said, what are your actual parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Fin rot is almost always caused by poor water quality.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom